How to connect iMac to LED TV without cables

Discussion in 'iMac' started by galileofigaro, Mar 7, 2013.

1. galileofigaro macrumors newbie

2. mellofello macrumors 65816

I could be wrong but I think you would have to get a apple tv to wirelessly share the screen.

3. eternalife macrumors regular

4. galileofigaro thread starter macrumors newbie

but my Imac runs OSX Lion. Do I have to upgrade it to Mountain Lion so it works with the latest version of Apple Tv?

5. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you need to upgrade your iMac running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion for 19 USD to enjoy that mirroring.

6. bushman4 macrumors 68000

But you still need the Apple TV

7. mellofello macrumors 65816

I just tried out the mirroring for the first time last night. While not flawless it was pretty good. Best part is that I have my stereo ran throughout my house and can be watching the same show in the living room on my big screen, and in the kitchen on my imac.

The only bummer was that it compressed my blu ray rip quite a bit. I need to get off my ass and run cat 5 to the imac. Hopefully a gigabit ethernet switch will improve quality.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Or run it through Handbrake RF=22 will give you a nice balance of quality / size.

9. seanm9 macrumors regular

DNLA Server

I had luck with
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_Media_Server

of course i was streaming to a PS3, but from what i read it will stream to any DNLA device.... run the server on the mac... tell the server where the media you want to stream is... go to the TV and use the remote to connect to the mac... of course not all of your media will be playable... if it has any DRM it will not stream correctly if at all... that is where the apple TV shines... that and mirroring your desktop on a TV...

10. Stevies3 macrumors member

With Apple TV & my iMac, Would Slingbox work on my TV?

11. mellofello macrumors 65816

Yup anything displayed on imac will automagically be displayed on the screen. I just cancelled my hulu plus subscription because I can now stream daily show, and everything else in the catolog for free.

12. seanm9 macrumors regular

Slingbox works the other way… It displays your TV signal on your iMac… we use them for monitoring our network at work…

13. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Yes, with screen mirroring. You make slingbox full screen on the iMac and mirrior it to the TV and boom, TV on the TV. I have done it with my macbook and apple tv with slingbox.