how to connect LCD monitors to MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moey2k2001, Jan 5, 2012.

1. moey2k2001 macrumors member

Hi there

I am setting up my music studio step by step and I have two MBP which I would like to connect to an LCD. (in the future I will connect them to 2-MacMinis)

What do I have to consider to keep in mind before purchasing a LCD? Which suits and works best with Mac? And how do I setup the LCD to display what is displayed on my Mac and to use it as an assitional "screening" (as in dragging items to the LCD)?

What possible way is there to connect two LCDs on one MBP?
    By the way I have one MacBook Pro 13" Unibody & MacBook Pro 15".

Thank you.

MOE

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Could you provide us with the port type? e.g. DVI, VGA, DisplayPort?

For DVI and VGA you would need dongles. If you are using multiple monitors, get a splitter dongle.
    If you're using DisplayPort, daisy chain the monitors together and connect one of them to your Mac through a DP to Mini DP cable. No dongles required.

DisplayPort monitors are the best because you don't need any dongles, but most monitors are DVI.

If you get two Thunderbolt Displays, you don't need to worry about a thing.

3. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

both MBPros have DVI
    I have not yet purchased any LCD, that is why I am asking you for advice :)

Not planning on buying apple screens as they are too expensive.

Please & Thank you :eek:

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

You have two different computers that you would like to connect to one LCD screen? Your first paragraph is confusing.

Ignoring the first paragraph, any LCD screen should work. You will however need an adapter if you choose to get a non-Apple Thunderbolt Display. Likely a mini-displayport to HDMI, or whatever the LCD screen uses.

If you wish to connect two external monitors to the one MBP, you will need a Mac with a Thunderbolt port. You will also need to buy an Apple Thunderbolt display, which plugs into your Mac. Then, you can either buy another Apple Thunderbolt display, or any other LCD screen, and plug that into the second Thunderbolt port on your Apple Thunderbolt display. Again, if you choose to get a non-Apple display, you will likely need a MDP-HDMI adapter.

I don not believe you can connect two computers to one LCD screen easily (I assume you wish to easily switch the monitor between the two computers), and you need a Thunderbolt Mac to use two external screens.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I'd just recommend getting whatever monitor you want, then getting the right adaptors for it later.

For the 15" : DVI to (insert monitor connection) dongle
    For the 13" : Mini DisplayPort to (insert monitor connection) dongle

For a dual-monitor setup for one of the computers : (insert monitor connection) splitter (e.g. HDMI splitter) in conjunction or built-in with one of the aforementioned dongles

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Buy DVI to HDMI adapters then, or whatever port the LCD screen uses. Any LCD monitor will work, including TV screens.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You would need a LCD with dual DVI inputs and then just put each computer on a different input. As for 2 screens to one computer, you will need either a TB MBP, to run both off of one daisy chained output, or you will need to purchase something like a USB to display adaptor that allows the monitor to be hooked up using a USB port to get the second screen out.

8. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

@ Erasmus
    1. I want to connect two LCD's (non apple) to two Mac's where I would be able to switch
    2. .... two LCD's (non apple) to one Mac Book Pro
    3. .... one LCD to one Mac Book Pro

Do I not have to consider something? I thought the graphiccard would be a problem? or not?

----------

don understand this. please rephrase. :confused::eek:

9. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If you have one MBP connected to one LCD, there will be no problem.

It may not be possible to connect two LCDs to one MBP, depending on your computer. What models, and what graphics cards do you have?

---
    Prodo123 is talking about using a dongle that has one DVI connection which plugs into your computer, which then splits into two HDMI outs, which you plug into two LCD screens.

10. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You have two choices:

A splitter-dongle combination (MDP to 2 DVI connections) or two separate dongles (MDP to HDMI dongle, then HDMI to 2 HDMi splitter)

11. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

and how do I switch between computers?

what's the thing exactly called? definetly not buying thunderbolt apple.

----------

MacBook Pro 13" & 15" with the following.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3427
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes

where to find this? this means then that the computer will be able to screen out on two LCDs?

12. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You would have to switch the input on the monitor to select the computer you are using at the time.

It is a usb video adaptor, it allows you to hook up an external monitor using an available usb port.

I think you need to further clarify what you are trying to do, as several options have been given but they would all yield different results. Are you trying to extend your displays, mirror them, etc. Lots of the offered solutions will yield different results. Just hooking up monitors to a computer is too vague to comprehend what you want to achieve.

For 2 computers to 1 monitor there is the wormhole device. It looks interesting for what it does.

13. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

I am trying to work more efficient with Logic music software. One one screen I would place the mixer and on the other I would have the trasnport, etc. And then by option I would simply swap to another computer without unplugging/plugging cables so I could use editing software such as pro tools.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I don't think I would recommend using a USB powered monitor. It would be low on bandwidth, and wouldn't be driven by your graphics card.

We need to verify whether your graphics card is even capable of driving three monitors at once first (internal + 2 external).

Can you describe your intended usage scenario better?

For example, do you want to use both monitors with your one computer, and then when you're done with your work you want your husband/wife/friend/alternate personality to be able to use both monitors with the other computer?

Or do you want to be able to connect both computers up on a desk in such a way that you can flip switches to connect both monitors to one computer, or the other computer, or one of each? (That would be one cluttered, NASA style desk!)

----------

Your setup is gonna be complicated.

I think you'll need to go to a shop that sells home AV equipment.

I don't know enough about this stuff to be much help.

15. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

just about it! all you said :p;):D

problem is, i have been to so many shops the last few days. bunch of smart guys who work there but can only push me to pay for an LCD that costs $$$.. just as much lack of knowledge as myself :D

16. salacious macrumors 6502a

most music studios i go to in london use LG tvs via hdmi, and as such so do i, you can get a 32 inch real cheap, brilliant quality too.. but thats in england dont know how much they are over there..

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Sounds like you are going to want a KVM switch that supports dual monitor outs, if they even exist. I agree that you are asking for a complicated set up and may want to contact people that deal specifically with this type of setup as you seem in over your head at this point. At least you have a roadmap of where you want to be.

You also seem to have forgotten a key point which is budget, as that makes all the difference. Trying to repurpose so many different things tells me you are trying to get by on a cheap budget (nothing wrong with that), just it makes for a key issue.

18. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

yeah ur right. its complicated. and of course the budget is low. of course i would simply buy apple screens and make it a lot easier but just too much cash to spend. instead i will buy LCD separate and in the future a macmini =)

19. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Even just buying Apple screens doesn't make it any simpler as you will need a set of switches to alleviate the necessary cable swaps that you want to avoid. The easiest solution may be the dvi to hdmi splitter and a couple of sets of hdmi switches to make things easier. Also, if you want your significant other to be able to user the system, you are going ti need to do some training, as if it is like around my house the wife is technically challenged when it comes to these issues, no matter how easy I make it.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

Any computer monitor will work, and a small 1080p TV would too, really, your problem does not lie in the screena themselves but in the way you want to use them.

The use of active switches(AKA splitters) would be required and it would be a wiring clusterf*ck, but it's do-able for the price of two LCD monitors and the necessary cabling and switches.

21. moey2k2001 thread starter macrumors member

hahahaha yeh the same here.

----------

thanks a lot for everyone's help. after this discussion, i have found what you guys were talking about. still havent figured how to use it on two computers but I will contact the corp. for this issue. here's a link incase anyone is interested

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK you won't be able to, it's meant for a single computer to use two monitors, you'd technically have you buy one for each MBP.