How to connect macbook to Linksys router with static ip?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roderick, Dec 25, 2009.

1. roderick macrumors member

Home for the holidays and need help. The Linksys router has a static ip set up to work with the DSL connection and desktop. My macbook pro connects to the router but there is no internet connection! This is pissing me off becuase my mom's cheap Dell notebook connects flawlessly but My $2500 macbook pro doesn't. What do I need to do? Thanks for helping me with this holiday emergency!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The static IP is for outbound traffic (from the router to the internet) so it shall not matter if that IP is dynamic or static.

So how do you connect to the router and how do you determine that there is a connection between router and your MacBook Pro?

Have you also taken a look at the router's settings, maybe it needs to be set up when another machine is added?

And have you looked at the Dell's settings?

And what devices are used to connect to the internet?

Telephone plug <> modem <> router <> Dell, ....

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Try messing with the linksys settings. It could be anything really. Maybe it's set to only allow your Mom's laptop to connect.

On your mom's laptop get on a browser and type in the address bar http://192.168.1.1

there is no username
    and the password is: admin

if that password doesn't work then your mom or whoever set up the linksys entered a username and password upon setup so you will need that.

4. roderick thread starter macrumors member

I can access the router page no problem, there is no password or encryption. The airport on my mac picks up "linksys" and says it's connected but it doesn't connect to the internet. The Dell just asked to join "linksys" and works fine - no special settings. I can plug my mac into the router with the ethernet cable and it works but i'm trying to connect wirelessly. Connection is DSL line to modem to wireless router like any normal connection. It's definitely a mac issue and there's nothing blocking the router from letting other computers join.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Is your Mac assigned an IP when it shows it's connected?

6. roderick thread starter macrumors member

Yes and I even went to the network settings on the mac and tried to configure it manually with the ip, dns, etc but still no go.