Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
New Mini is connected to my HDTV right now via HDMI. Will be getting 2 Thunderbolt displays or 2 cheaper Dell U2711 displays. Haven't decided yet.

How could I have 2 Thunderbolt displays + HDTV connected to my Mini and how could I do it with the Dells? Dells are only display port right?

Are Apple displays connected to new Macs via HDMI or the Thunderbolt input? Would I need some sort of HDMI hub for 2 displays + HDTV?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
First off, what Mini do you have? Only the high-end non-server Mini with AMD 6630M supports three simultaneous displays. As of today, that will only work with Thunderbolt displays because no other display supports daisy-chaining, which is required because Mini has only two video outputs (and TB hubs don't exist).

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
First off, what Mini do you have? Only the high-end non-server Mini with AMD 6630M supports three simultaneous displays. As of today, that will only work with Thunderbolt displays because no other display supports daisy-chaining, which is required because Mini has only two video outputs (and TB hubs don't exist).

not entierly accurate. Display port v 1.2 supports daisy chaining. I have no idea if the mini, or either of these displays support v 1.2 though. I agree that the AMD 6630 is the best option for 3 monitors

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Well I don't NEED 3 monitors but it would be a plus. I bought the Mac Mini server for Logic Audio. I'd like to connect 2 Apple displays. If I can't connect my HDTV at the same time it's no problem. I can just pull the HDMI cable out and swap whenever I want to watch 1080p movies.

So how would I connect 2 Thunderbolt displays or 2 Dell U2711's? Btw, I don't think I'll be buying the Dells anyway from the information I've read. Good as just basic IPS office displays but not good for photography etc.

How are Thunderbolt displays connected to the Mac Mini server? Thunderbolt only? I see only one Thunderbolt output. So I'd connect one to my MMS and the other Thunderbolt display would be daisy chained to the other? So if they're connected via Thunderbolt then what about the empty HDMI output? Why can't it go to my HDTV?

Last edited:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Found the support page. I can connect a Thunderbolt display and HDMI display at the same time. I cannot connect 2 Thunderbolt displays + HDMI display. No problem. Just swap as needed.

What I'd like clarification on is whether or not I can actually have 2 Thunderbolt displays working with a Mac Mini server. Where one Thunderbolt display is daisy chaining off the connected Thunderbolt display.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4885

EDIT: Sweet. Found this too.
So let’s update the list of how many Thunderbolt displays each Mac can handle:

MacBook Air – 1 Thunderbolt display
13″ MacBook Pro – 2 Thunderbolt displays, screen on MBP will go black
15″, 17″ MacBook Pro, iMac – 2 Thunderbolt displays
Mac Mini w/ AMD graphics – 2 Thunderbolt displays, 1 display via HDMI
Mac Mini w/o graphics – 2 Thunderbolt displays
The document also states that a Mini Displayport monitors cannot be daisy chained:

So I can connect 1 Thunderbolt display to my Mini Server then daisy chain it to the second Thunderbolt display via Thunderbolt? HDMI doesn't work if two are connected though. I only use my HDTV for the odd MKV movie so no big deal.

p.s. Do I need to buy an extra Thunderbolt cable? How does this work?

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
not entierly accurate. Display port v 1.2 supports daisy chaining. I have no idea if the mini, or either of these displays support v 1.2 though. I agree that the AMD 6630 is the best option for 3 monitors

It doesn't matter what DP 1.2 supports. The GPU (Intel HD 3000) in base and server supports only two displays. There aren't any monitors other than TBD that support daisy-chaining, so that's a no-go anyway. Besides, the DP version in Mini is 1.1a due to Thunderbolt.

So I can connect 1 Thunderbolt display to my Mini Server then daisy chain it to the second Thunderbolt display via Thunderbolt? HDMI doesn't work if two are connected though. I only use my HDTV for the odd MKV movie so no big deal.

Yes. Again, that's because the GPU in server Mini doesn't support more than two displays.

p.s. Do I need to buy an extra Thunderbolt cable? How does this work?

No, as the TBD comes with an integrated Thunderbolt cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.