How to connect multiple devices with enterprise WiFi

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
My university uses enterprise level WiFi (we have to log in with our student IDs and everything), and while I love the speeds, for some reason (I'm not that knowledgeable about network technology) devices won't connect with one another over this kind of network.

Example:
- Air Server (the AirPlay enabler for Mac) won't connect from my iPhone to my Mac
- DisplayPad won't allow me to use my iPad as an additional monitor
- I can't use the new mirroring feature in xScope 3

Is there a way to get this to work somehow?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No longer logging into MR
My university uses enterprise level WiFi (we have to log in with our student IDs and everything), and while I love the speeds, for some reason (I'm not that knowledgeable about network technology) devices won't connect with one another over this kind of network.

Example:
- Air Server (the AirPlay enabler for Mac) won't connect from my iPhone to my Mac
- DisplayPad won't allow me to use my iPad as an additional monitor
- I can't use the new mirroring feature in xScope 3

Is there a way to get this to work somehow?
It's possible they are using centralized controllers to manage the wireless. On some of our SSIDs at work, we have the controllers firewall the connections, just as you state here. This prevents all sorts of issues that may occur when someone does something they shouldn't.

No, there's no way around it, besides:

Install your own router and create your own LAN?
Be careful with that, though. Your university may not like it. ;)

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, only, my devices are always connected to the university's WiFi, so switching for a few specific situations would be inconvenient.

Our university doesn't really care so long as you mask the SSID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.