how to connect my laptop to tv/monitor?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hucchund22, Jul 26, 2010.

1. hucchund22 macrumors member

hello everyone, we were drinking a while ago and we wanted to watch youtube videos with lyrics and sing with it, but the problem we used a small laptop so the screen was too small to enjoy singing.. ehehe.. we have a big tv in the living room and i wanted to use it.. what should i buy to make the most out of our drinking sessions?? thanks,,

i know this is not the right place to ask this but i like this part of the forums.. thank you in advance.. :p

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

An iMac is not a laptop, and as the thread title suggested, they used a laptop. Thus I asked, what kind of laptop they have, as the signature indicated only the possession of an iMac and the post indicated the use of a laptop.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It would be beneficial for the OP to clarify what specific computer they are going to use the cable with, then. As they did post this in PowerPC Macs, so it is not going to be a MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, anyway.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I didn't see the location of the thread, but the OP wrote this:
    Maybe it is no Mac at all. We don't know.

hucchund22, could you please post more specific on what exact laptop (brand, model, version), what specific OS (Mac OS X 10.x.y, Windows X.y, Linux) and what TV (brand and model) you use, as there are thousands of laptops and thousands of TVs out there, and many use a variant of out- and inputs.

7. hucchund22 thread starter macrumors member

sorry, ehehe.. i have an asus eee pc 1000hg and a sony vaio vgn nw26m.. but i would also like to connect my imac to the tv.. the tv has a 3 colored inputs, i think the color is red, white and yellow.. do you guys know what should i but?

thanks for the quick reply.. much appreciated.. :D:D:D

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

For the iMac, the cable I referenced earlier will work.

For the eee PC you'll want this cable.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at the guide I linked to, to at least get a bearing of some of the existing ports?

The TV has a so-called Composite video input (yellow for video) and a stereo audio input (red and white).
    Your Asus has a VGA video output and a 3.5mm stereo audio output.

You need a VGA to Composite adapter for video, and a 3.5mm to RCA cable for audio.

Your iMac has a miniVGA video output and a 3.5mm stereo audio output.

You need the miniVGA to VGA adapter from Apple and the other components I already listed (3.5mm to RCA for audio, VGA to Composite for video - can be connected to the miniVGA adapter).

10. hucchund22 thread starter macrumors member

NICE..great! thanks! were gonna have a great drinking session next time.. hehehe.. thanks so much for the help.. i'll start buying them in ebay tomorrow.. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No problem, glad to help :)