How to connect Playstation 3 to Apple Led Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brave5213, Apr 10, 2009.

1. brave5213 macrumors regular

Are there any way to do this connection? if yes how?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I'm gonna say no. You'd need a minidisplay port to DVI and then DVI to HMDI.

3. brave5213 thread starter macrumors regular

i found a mini display port- hdmi adapter, does it help?

[​IMG]

4. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

You would need a minidisplay port Female, to HDMI male. So no, that cable won't work because it is a minidisplay port male connector.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

short answer:
    no.

long answer:
    in order to do what you want, you would need a box with some electronics, not just an adapter cable. I don't think those exist yet, and it's such a small market, they might not ever.
    The connector on the computer already has the correct data for an HDMI / DVI / VGA connection, which is why it's easier to go the other way.

you could get the video signal into your computer, and then use it that way, but the quality would not be so good, and there would be lag which I'm guessing you probably don't want with a gaming console.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It won't work, something to do with some kind of HD encryption tech that won't allow it, I don't know all the details, but I think it won't work.

7. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

There is NO way for this to happen.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

eyetv

though it isnt the best solution but would work

9. MVApple macrumors 6502a

You are thinking of HDCP, but the 24" Cinema Display is HDCP compliant. So this is not a problem. Also, I'm not sure but I don't think HDCP is applied when playing a video game, only blu-ray movies and digital movies (like Apple).

Why would you need a box with some electronics? I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure, that Display port and HDMI/DVI use the same type of data. You're not converting from one type of format to another (as in taking a digital signal and converting it to analog). This should just be a simple switch of connectors. Someone needs to make a female mini-display port to male hdmi. The digital siginal that a PS3 sends the monitor should be read by the display.

The only problem is how it's going to read the connection. Will it stretch the image? Will it do 1:1 pixel mapping? etc.

I see this question popping up a lot so while it may be a small market, there is definitely a market for it. I wonder if mono-price will release something like this. They are really the best bet we have.