How to connect Time Capsule to dial-up internet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amirite, Aug 20, 2009.

1. amirite macrumors 6502a

Is this possible (by buying something else) to connect my time capsule to dialup so that I can connect to the time capsule with my MacBook and use dialup?

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I doubt it, however if you can it will take ages to back up. I remember dial-up:rolleyes:

3. amirite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to connect my Time Capsule to the internet through dialup. Not connect to my Time Capsule over dialup!

It must be possible.

4. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Umm, no...
    Sorry man, there is just no way of hooking up a wireless router of any brand to dial up internet.

5. amirite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean with an external dialup modem.

Does Apple offer a solution?

For example, I know it's a long shot, bu would this happen to work with a time capsule: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MA034Z/A ?

If not, are there any dialup modems that I connect to the ethernet port on my time capsule?

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

7. amirite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, although something like that will be my last resort. I'd like to use the time capsule if possible because I've had it for almost a year and its a great quality wireless router/hard drive.

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I don't think the Apple USB modem works with Time Capsule, but I would love to be proven wrong.

One way to accomplish this would be to have a computer with a dial-up modem to be the main connection point, and then share that connection over ethernet to the Time Capsule.

Another method that I have used is to use one of the very old AirPort Extreme base stations with the built-in modem (the UFO shaped kind). They can be found on eBay for pretty cheap. I used it for G wireless and connected a previous model Time Capsule to it via ethernet and used the TC for N wireless.

9. amirite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I may just do this unless there exists an external dialup modem with an ethernet connection.
    Thanks.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Old Apple Airport base stations have dial up functions.

Um, get DSL, cable, or fios?

11. amirite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 50mb/s internet here. I'm moving somewhere where the only choice is dialup.

12. ladysman macrumors regular

u sure about that? I thought the same for my parents that live in the middle of nowhere. They have a service called DTNSpeed that isn't the fastest but it gets the job done and much better than dial-up!

Going from 50mb to dial-up is just plain awful. :(

13. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I wouldn't move there, no joke. Unless I was 10 and my parents made me.

If your under 18 apply for amnesty. Dial up would be considered cruel and unusual punishment to any modern judge.

14. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

There are always other options besides dialup, if nothing else, there's sattelite (a little pricey at $50+ per month, but it works)

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

dial up modems have to be connected to a computer so they can be dialed, they arent like broadband which is connected all the time

are you moving to a third world country?

16. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

isnt that crossing the streams in ghostbusters? If you did hack that together it would take forever and one whole day to back up

17. primalman macrumors 6502a

Buy an older Airport Extreme with the built-in modem. I will be selling mine next week, cause I got a new dual-band AE today in the mail. Let me know if you want to see about it. If I eBay it and you are interested, I can link you to it.
    :)