How to connect to a shared windows printer from my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aide199, May 6, 2015.

1. aide199 macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I have 2 machines setup - the first is a windows machine with a samsung ML-1910 laser printer connected to it, the second is an iMac

I want the ability to connect to the samsung printer on my iMac, so this is what I've done:-

I've shared the printer on my Windows machine and have then tried to connect to it on my iMac - I've tried to add it by IP but for some reason it can't find it and I've also tried to go down the Windows route (to add the printer) it seems to find it and I can specify the samsung driver I want to use (already installed this on my iMac) but when I try to print it comes up with a message of 'Hold for Authentication' now I've looked on Google for this error and it says if I click on the resend button a login box will appear asking for a username and password.

What do i put in this box as there is no security on the printer? I've tried putting in my username and password for my windows machine and that doesn't work.

Help!!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18703?locale=en_US

3. aide199 thread starter macrumors member

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Got it, I'm not a Windows guy. However if the printer is correctly set up on the PC and with sharing turned on it should be easy to connect the Mac. Simply open System Preferences - Printers & Scanners and the printer will show up on the left pane. Then add the printer.

If the printer cannot be seen then that indicates a problem on your MS Windows side of things.

Good luck.

5. aide199 thread starter macrumors member

When I add a printer and select Windows - it can see my printer but when I try to print anything to it...I just get a message of 'Hold for Authentication'

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I found this thread, many with similar issues claim it works.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2306107?start=30

7. aide199 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much - In one of the replies it stated to use guest as the username and password and that worked.

Thanks again, its really appreciated!!

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Cool, glad you got it!