How to connect to NAS after awakening from sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Andy N, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Andy N macrumors newbie

Just got a 09 mac pro and I'm having trouble getting the Pro to automatically reconnect to the shared hard drive upon awakening. On start up all works as expected but connection is lost when the pro is put to sleep and does not auto connect. No problems with manually connecting to the NAS. My 1st gen Mac Mini never had problems staying connected. Is this a Leopard thing or a Pro thing or a user error issue? I stream iTunes, pics, and video to my xbox 360 and ps3 so I'd hate to have to get up and wake pro and connect to the NAS before I do so.

Thanks,

Andy

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Curious, doesn't a NAS drive connect to the network? Rather than directly to the workstation?

3. Andy N thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I might not be using the correct terminologies. Not very computer literate. But I think you're correct. it's connected to my network via a router. But I run mediaplay and 360 connect off my pro to stream the files on the NAS.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Let me ask you this.. Why isn't your console(s) attached to the network router or switch? Why does it have to be connected directly to the MacPro?
    If they're connected to your router or switch, having the Mac waking up or going to sleep shouldn't affect the data streams if they're stored on the NAS to begin with.

5. Andy N thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually everything is connected to a switch and the router. But the Mac does the transcoding and then streams to the 360 or ps3. The 360 and ps3 don't recognize the NAS on the network so I can't just grab files from the NAS directly from the consoles. So, unfortunately, the Mac needs to see the NAS so that the consoles can see the files. I know it's not as elegant but unfortunately my consoles just can't find the NAS. But the programs I'm using do allow the consoles to recognize my itunes playlists and iphoto albums which is nice.

Funny thing is with the Mac Mini this was never a problem. It alway found the networked storage upon being awakened. Either that or I never really put the thing to sleep for 4 years. Wonder if its a Leopard thing? Never got Leopard on the old Mini.