How to connect to the net via dial-up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pjk, May 18, 2007.

1. pjk macrumors member

Hello,
    I have been using a Dell computer and using MSN dial up service on it for awhile. I just got an iMac w/ intel core duo on it. How do I connect to the internet? Do I just insert the MSN installation CD, or do I have to download something extra? Thanks in advance.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. pjk thread starter macrumors member

Eric,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I read your post awhile back, but have just now got the chance to try it. At this link (the article you posted):
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/msnformacosx/msnformacosx.aspx?pid=instruct

On #6, it says to drag the Internal Modem up.... I don't have that option... I have these options:
    Bluetooth
    Built in Ethernet
    Built in FireWire
    Airport

How do I go about doing this? Thank you for your help.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately you have to buy a USB modem, as iMacs don't come with them built in nowadays (because not many people who have such good computers have dial-up)...something like this :)

5. pjk thread starter macrumors member

Hello,
    Okay, great, thanks. I am only using dial up because I am in the middle of nowhere and the only other option I have is satellite, which is about $80/month, sadly.

I have another question, this has the built-in camera. How can I take videos/pics with it, without getting online and chatting? Thank you.

Pat

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It comes with PhotoBooth for taking pictures, and iMovie for video :)

7. pjk thread starter macrumors member

Excellent, I will try that out shortly.

Whenever I am done with my iMac, do you recommend I put it to sleep right then and there, or just leave it sitting? And why? Thanks

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Putting it to sleep saves power :)

You should also restart once in a while, otherwise you will start to notice a slow down...

9. pjk thread starter macrumors member

Okay... why does it slow without restarting? Thanks

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's nothing definite (you won't find it in a manual anywhere), but some users may notice a small performance decrease after a period of several weeks, and a restart usually takes care of this. In many cases, a restart will also fix any small errors or problems you may be having as well.

It's not really anything you have to worry about. Usually, if you restart once after every update, that's enough.