how to connect to tv

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alleyoop, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Alleyoop macrumors member

What cord do you have to buy so you can connect an iPod Touch to an older TV? I want to buy movies off iTunes and watch them on TV. I am sorry if this is a dumb question; I really thought this would be an easy thing to find an answer to without posting...

I also have a PS2 connected to the TV, so if going through that to watch the movies would be cheaper or easier, I'd love the info.

Or am I supposed to be buying apple TV for this?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

What kind of video input connection types does your TV have? There's Composite and Components cables that I've seen for Video out for the iPhones/Touch.

3. Alleyoop thread starter macrumors member

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

RCA type is composite, so something like this.

Actually component also has the RCA type plugs.

5. Alleyoop thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! The Apple website shows it is compatible with iPod Touch 1st and 2nd generation, but doesn't show a picture of the 3G iPod Touch. I thought maybe it just wasn't updated, but then noticed they have the iPhone 3Gs listed as compatible. Hm?

I also found this for $6.00, rather then the $49.00 Apple Composite AV cable.
    http://tiny.cc/2zIro

If anyone has tried this, please chime in!

Both of the ads say you can 'watch video', but they don't specifically say 'watch movies'. I have never downloaded an iTunes movie~is it a sure thing that the file type it is in downloaded in will be able to be viewed using this type of cable on an older TV?

6. soarer123 macrumors newbie

hey alleyoop.
    dont be tempted to cut corners with the cheaper cable, if your itouch is running 3.0 or later, the ONLY cable that will work is the apple branded ones
    cheers

thats exactly why i bought my ipod touch, veiw movies when on the road.

7. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

You may be right, but can you back that statement up to help the rest of us money-conscious shoppers?