Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonlens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Hi folks,

I bought a Treo 800w from Sprint which use Windows mobile 6.1 OS to replace my Treo 700W which use Windows Mobile 5 OS. and I wanna use its internet on my Mac Book Leopard since
both the Treo and Mac Book have bluetooth. And it can help me a lot when I am out. I could do it on my Treo 700w which uses Windows Mobile 5 OS. I used it for a few months.

But when I tried to connect Treo 800w from Mac OS, it connected, but the Internet couldn't get through. Then I installed XP on Mac Book through bootcamp, and I successfully connected Treo 800w with XP in my Mac Book(I downloaded and installed fix patch to enable the Internet Sharing on my Treo 800W) and use Treo as modem in the airport and other places. It's so cool!! The reason is both the OS are Windows.

So I wanna figure it out how to set up a through Internet sharing between Treo 800w and Mac book. Here are what I did, please check if I did wrong.

1. Connect Treo with Macbook through bluetooth.

2. Go to "Network" in Mac, add a "Bluetooth PAN", and the parameters are as below:
configuration: Default
Telephone:#777
Account Name:xxxxxxxx@sprintpcs.com
Password:xxxxxxxxx
3. Click "Apply", then click "Connect".

4. Then an error came out and says, "Internet Connect: Could not open the communication device."

What does it mean?

I also installed Parallels 3.0.544, hoping it can provide bluetooth connection with Treo, but it's only a virtual machine and can't provide bluethooth device.

So my question is:

1. What I should do to connect Treo 800w or any Windows Mobile OS 6.1 phone directly with Mac OS? Any suggestion? I already remove XP, since it costs too much power and need reboot everytime.

2. If Treo can't do this, which phone(except iphone) can share Internet sharing with Mac Book?

Thanks so much folks for your help!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
So your using your 3g?

Lemme tell you I did this once with my Treo 750 (with WM 6.1) and it was very simple.

I didn't add any phone number or username password though.

I would attempt to do it again but I'm a bit hesitant since only my iPhone has a data plan. When we did it we had a data plan on our Treo's.

All I remember was it was very painless and only took a min or two to setup and I did it while my wife was driving (we were checking hotel reservations).

I think the whole phone number/username password is the biggest step that sticks out that I DID NOT need to do.

I do not believe it's a matter of 'compatible phones' but more a matter of the network connection type your attempting to make.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I found an obscure set of settings for a WM phone ( A Samsung Blackjack) over at Howardsforums, to tether it to my Macs. It is 3G and the data plan is cheaper than a dedicated card but no so cheap that AT&T would care about tethering. I'd try over there.

simonlens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
It works now!

I went to the wrong place, actually, after I paired Mac and Treo and connected by bluetooth at the Treo end, I should go to the bluetooth and connect the network. But I use a bluetooth PAN. It's a wrong direction.

Thanks folks, for all your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.