How to connect two 24 ACD to the new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Greenhoe, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm purchasing a Mac Pro later this week with a 4870 and I currently have an apple 24 display and i'm going to purchase another 24 ACD, my only question is since they both use Mini Displayport what adaptor will I need to connect the second one to the DVI since they have Mini DP to DVI but not the other way around?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can't (right now). If you want two 24" LED Apple displays you will need two graphics cards.

3. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

AHHHHH NOOOOO! Do you guys think they will be coming out with an adaptor anytime soon? Also how would I get another graphics card? Since I'm going with the 4870 apple doesn't give me the option for 2 cards.

Also will having 2 cards will that help performance at all or just to hook up more monitors?

4. nicolapo macrumors newbie

Right now, having two cards won't buy you any more performance (they don't talk to each other). But who knows what will happen with Snow Leopard, GrandCentral & OpenCL?
    (Remember how Apple introduced 2 GPUs in the unibody MBP?)

5. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

How can I get an extra card when purchasing the 4870? Or do i have to purchase the GT 120 and then buy the 4870 extra as that upgrade kit?

6. nicolapo macrumors newbie

Call Apple - they'll do it over the phone for you even though the option doesn't exist in the public version of the store.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Never.

Put one in your cart alongside the computer.

8. Shownarou macrumors regular