Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BH1983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Hi guys, first a bit of background. I currently have a MBP 14 connected directly to my studio display. I work from home and log on via my MBP and VDI, everything works great. My employer however, has decided that everyone will have a windows machine going forward and are doing away with VDI! I know I can connect my new windows machine directly to my studio display via TB4, but how can I connect two machines at the same time?

As I'll now have a work machine I'm thinking of getting rid of my MBP and replacing it with a Mac Studio. My question is, could I use something like a CalDigit TS4 dock to run a TS4 cable from the studio display to the dock, and then a TS4 cable to the Mac Studio and another to the windows machine? And if so, when both are connected, how would I switch inputs??

TIA!

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I can't speak to the option above, but I sometimes need to use windows and also have one display. I use Microsoft Remote Desktop on my Mac to display and control my windows computer.

alaman64

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2017
Hi guys, first a bit of background. I currently have a MBP 14 connected directly to my studio display. I work from home and log on via my MBP and VDI, everything works great. My employer however, has decided that everyone will have a windows machine going forward and are doing away with VDI! I know I can connect my new windows machine directly to my studio display via TB4, but how can I connect two machines at the same time?

As I'll now have a work machine I'm thinking of getting rid of my MBP and replacing it with a Mac Studio. My question is, could I use something like a CalDigit TS4 dock to run a TS4 cable from the studio display to the dock, and then a TS4 cable to the Mac Studio and another to the windows machine? And if so, when both are connected, how would I switch inputs??

TIA!
Same boat as you, purchased this switch from Amazon it's a USBC switcher. it works fine, but some people need to upgrade the included usb cables, cause on some systems they might flicker.

YIWENTEC USB-C USB3.1 Type-C 8K Switch Bi-Direction 8K@30Hz 4K@120Hz Power Delivery 100w 10Gbps Data Transfer Multi-Function Splitter Converter (8K)​

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
I can't speak to the option above, but I sometimes need to use windows and also have one display. I use Microsoft Remote Desktop on my Mac to display and control my windows computer.

Parsec is really good. There's a free version, or for a small subscription, one that does 4:4:4 colour (though the standard colour compression of 4:2:0 isn't very noticeable). Designed for gaming, so extremely low latency. Plus, unlike Remote Desktop, it gives you full control of the PC - can log in, change desktop resolution, everything. Can be run windowed or full screen.

The only issue with anything like this is whether the OP's work IT will allow it to be installed on the laptop. It's owned by Unity though, so not a dodgy download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.