How to connect XBOX360 to a network which requires a browser log in?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Forest91, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

To get on to the internet at uni one must open a browser and then enter your username and password from the networks homescreen. I was just wondering if it is at all possible to configure my 360 to do this. I've managed it with a PS3 as it has a built in web browser. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

One of my suggestion is hook it up to a router that can do the log in for you. That way anything you hook up to that router is going to be logged in. No need log yourself in every time you computer hooks up to it.

3. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Problem is, as its a university router, I don't have access to it. :(

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sorry I ment you take your own router and hook it into the university system.

Take for example a linksys router WT54G. It has 4 ethernet ports on the back of it and 1 WAN port. You plug the WAN port into the jack in your room and then have it log you in. Everything else runs off that router. Reason I tell you to use the WAN port is because the others can screw things up by the router trying to become your DHP host for the univsersity and the unovsersity does not like that.

I use the WT54G router as an example because that was what I used while I was in school but just about any router that has that port will work just fine as long as youcan get the log in part for it set up.

5. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

You should be able to contact the people in charge to let your 360 through.

Or what woud work on my campus was plugging a computer into the port, logging in, then plugging in the 360 to that same port right after.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

generally that does not work because the MAC address would changed. I think the router trick should work since the University will not be able to see pass the router. Now Universities hate routers because they can not see what is behind them.

7. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

First of all thanks for your input guys, really appreciated. There is no physical port in my room, the entire network is run off wifi, which makes the situation a little more difficult. I was thinking about connecting my computer to my xbox and enabling internet sharing. Looked at this guide and it says I need the routers ip address, which I don't have. Any idea how to find it? thanks again

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have never done a pass threw with a mac but I know on windows I never had to know that infomation when I did things like that.
    On windows I would change a setting on my computers ports properties that said share internet conection threw this port and everything internet related with threw that port I could hard wire in things to the other eithernet ports on my computer and they would have full access to the net.
    The port that handled internet could be one of my 2 hardwired ones or my wireless.

Basicly I let my desktop bridge the connections. Something like that could work for you. Just hardwire you 360 into you Mac and the use you Mac's wireless to connect to the university system.

9. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Under Folder Sharing on the Settings Panel for the Mac, I am sure you can share your Mac's wifi connection over the ethernet port. So as Rodimus said, let the Mac act as the bridge/router to your Xbox.

At least, I think that should work.

10. micahR macrumors newbie

I think this is a manual setting in the network settings section.