how to contact apple designers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheSVD, Oct 3, 2009.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

i have quite a cool idea that i'd like to put forward to apple, does anyone know what email address i could use to send them my ideas? Im not expecting to get rich or famous or anything, just wanted to email them for the sake of having a cool idea :D any ideas people? thanks.

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Hate to be the party pooper :) but I've heard Apple discourages unsolicited idea submissions because they don't want to risk being sued later on for infringement or intellectual property issues. So while it's worth a try, not sure how far you'd get. Easier is to hang out somewhere you know that kind of Apple engineers might hang out in, mention idea, and hope someone saw it.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Their policy is here. Basically they don't want your idea.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Exactly the case, once they open the floodgates it could cause all types of legal problems. Being in the position of an Engineer who designs equipment and having to think about these things, it really is a problem. If you use someone's idea and it is a huge success they can later come back and say that you took it from them and sue for huge money. Thus the general rule is that they can't use the ideas.

BUT, if it truly is a good idea, patent it. Believe it or not, it is the best way to get it incorporated. Why? Because once you have a patent they then can procure the rights to use it from you. Yes, money will be involved but it covers their butt because you can't later come back and say they didn't pay you.

5. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

6. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

rule number 1.

if your good at something, never do it for free.

7. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Just out of curiosity - how much does it cost to patent something in the US? Here in Norway we have a very different patent system - basically we don't really bother patenting anything ;p

8. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Heh, if only this was true. There are many AMAZING open source developers who develop and distribute for free. :D