How to: Contact info database

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kevindosi, Jun 1, 2009.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

I want to make a website for an international group\club. The main purpose of the website will be to contain contact information and details for all of the members (picture, country, address, website, etc). I want all of this information to be searchable and browsable, so that any logged in user can search, for instance, for all members from a certain country or could just browse by name alphabetically. It would also be nice if logged in users could edit the contact information. Even better, the contact information could be specifically linked to their accounts and only they could edit their own information.
    The problem is, I have no idea where to start. I'm ambitious and eager to take on the project, but don't know where to start really. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Why don't you check out a bulletin board system like phpBB and see if those profile pages can be adapted for your usage ?

Otherwise a content management system like Joomla might be nice to investigate as well - there's probably already a plugin written to do just that... (I haven't looked though)

In any case, you'll need a hosting that can access a database