How to control access when "internet sharing" is enabled?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, May 24, 2008.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

When internet sharing is enabled is there a way to control access to the wireless signal that is created? In other words, is there a way to password protect the signal just like one might do with a wireless modem?

The closest thing I have seen to such a feature is "dynamic global hostsharing" where it appears that you can create a password, yet I really have no idea what this is or how to utilize this feature. Any advice?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Doesn't seem to be anything out there at the moment since the internet sharing is most likely suppose to be a short term thing or to be used in a place where security is needed since wireless routers are very cheap to share a wired connection.

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

After a little time tinkering around I actually figured out how to password-protect the wireless signal created when "internet sharing" is enabled in system preferences. Assuming you have your Mac hardwired to your modem, first, select internet sharing and chose from the dialogue window the how you want to share the signal, e.g., from built in ethernet. Next, in "to computers using" select airport. Then got to airport options and you can set up the password from there; you must do this before you hit the "start" button. Next, as I just alluded to, you will be prompted to select start or cancel internet sharing, hit start (obviously). Hope this helps others who have had similar questions about this feature.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Hmm. Must have just missed that then. Now I know for sure its there like I thought it would be.