How to control another mac on a network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Argelius, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I've tried searching for this, but I fear I don't know the correct terms to search on. I'm a networking novice, so am relatively clueless.

At work I have two Macs (one Leopard, one Tiger that are both attached to the network via an Ethernet connection.

What I would like to be able to do is control one Mac with the other (including adding and deleting files). I'm pretty sure OSX natively includes this functionality -- I just don't know where to go for a tutorial.

Could someone kindly point me to a knowledgebase (or other) article that can guide me through this process?

Thanks!

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

tiger doesn't allow screen sharing, as far as i know, however you can edit all of these under the system pref. and then into sharing. you should soon see each computer in the network folder in the finder, by pressing command, shift, and k when in "finder" is open.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

As a vnc viewer for Tiger I used Chicken of vnc. For the server on tiger use vineserver.

For leopard, the builtin client is pretty cool because it allows screenscalling (which is not in chickenofvnc). And the server in Leopard can be turned on in preferences (sharing->screensharing).

4. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1. I've done VNC on Tiger and BacktomyMac on Leopard, as well...

5. mindburp macrumors newbie

mindburp