How to control another mac remotely...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flyfish29, Jun 10, 2009.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

My in-laws bought a Macbook Air and I would like to be able remotely control their Mac. Can I do this inexpensively? I saw the remote desktop- but that looks like it is for net administrators...please advise.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Chicken of the VNC may still be a viable (and free) option. MobileMe ($149 annual Family Pack) has Back To My Mac; not free, but relatively low-cost.

3. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

In system prefs, under sharing, on the MacBook Air, enable Screen Sharing and write down the VNC address that is displayed. Then on your Mac in the Finder Menu bar, go to 'Connect to Server' and type in "vnc://xx.x.xxx".

You'll need the user name and password of the computer you are trying to control.

A more simple way to do this would be to share screens via iChat, assuming you're both running Leopard.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

iChat has it built in - you can share desktops.

Free, in every Leopard-based Mac, and all you need is a login for iChat. Highly recommended. Edit: as mentioned above. :)

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Download and use Yuuguu it is super easy, and it works cross OS. :)

6. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

We are both running leopard so it sounds like iChat is the easiest. Thanks for the info!! More options welcome incase I can't get that to work for some reason.