How to control brightness in Windows on LED ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cycom, May 19, 2009.

1. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Ok, so I'm planning on buying and LED Cinema Display to go with my mac pro. I have a few issues before I pull the trigger...

Currently, I'm using a 23 inch Acrylic Cinema Display and have found that there is no way to adjust overall monitor brightness. Even using the ATi control panel (my Mac Pro has an Apple branded ATi 4870), there are no true brightness controls either on the software side in Windows (I haven't found a way to change brightness in Windows like I do in System Preferences in OSX) or on the hardware side (no buttons on the monitor itself).

Basically, as soon as I use bootcamp to reset into Windows, I notice that the screen immediately goes to the lowest brightness (even though I was running the max in OSX before switching) settings as soon as I go into the desktop. Playing games like this is irritating.

I know the LED Cinema Display also has no brightness buttons on it, so will I still be SOL?

2. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

In the Boot Camp preferences menu (found in the Boot Camp tray icon), there's a brightness slider. I have not found out how to make the brightness buttons on the keyboard work, though.

3. kolax macrumors G3

The Boot Camp drivers should make the keyboard buttons work. If they don't, try installing the Boot Camp drivers again and make sure that you haven't unticked (Fn+F1 for extra functions).

4. Cycom thread starter macrumors 6502

Cycom

There was/is no brightness slider in the preferences. I had to download a third party patch that adds ACD support to the Windows control panel. Problem solved!

Thanks for the help anyway!

5. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Hi Cycom, do you have a link to that patch, would be quite useful to have.

Thanks

6. Cycom thread starter macrumors 6502

Cycom

7. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

The problem is that the buttons control the laptop brightness, and not the ACD brightness.