How to control fans on PowerPC G5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BLDun, Dec 1, 2009.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

I have an older PowerPC G5 with dual 1.8 GHz Recently I replaced the Power Supply and now the two fans on the back run at high speed all the time. There is no heat problem anywhere. In fact after an hour or two of running I opened the case and everything was cool to the touch. Not even warm! Is there a way I can get the fans to slow down? Can I adjust them anywhere?

Thanks

2. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

3. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

I got it fixed!! When I replaced the power supply I had to remove the two processors. Come to find out they are calibrated to logic board and if you don't put them back in the same place you took them out it will cause the fans to run full tilt all the time. Some safety mechanism I suppose. In any case I took them out and swapped positions and it is now quiet as a mouse!! Don't know if that helps you or not.

4. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

good to hear!

interesting though..

i guess my problem is a bit different. it seems my fans are more or less completely retarded. they run either full blast all the time or not at all. if they are off for long enough (temps get too high) my computer will just go to sleep by itself. when i click to wake it up, if the fans don't come on, it will just go to sleep again. it will keep going to sleep by itself until at some point the fans decide to come on. once the fans come on it'll go to sleep one more time and then with a final mouse click, it will stay awake with the fans on full blast.

another thing, my computer would NEVER go to sleep on schedule, no matter what the energy savings setting said. i had to install an app i found called "NMS Sleep Assist" to fix that problem.

the fans are still crazy though. most of the time they're on full blast, no matter what i'm doing. even upon start up after the computer's been off all night or something. the power comes on and the fans go wild.

apple actually replaced my logic board a while back when this whole thing started. i had 2 days left on my applecare plan at that time. the problem was solved for about a month or so, then it came back. i never took it back to apple after that because i figured if my plan was up i'd have to pay.

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

How did you get your hands on a PowerBook G5??? We have been waiting forever!