HomeKit How to control Tradfri using cell phone data?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by petalino, May 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. petalino macrumors regular

I have a an Ikea Tradfri Gateway and a few remote control outlets.
    All is possible to control my outlets via the Tradfri App or Homekit on my Iphone, but the phone must be connected to same WIFI as the Gateway.

Effectively this means that I cannot turn lights on or off when away from home Wifi.

Is there a way to control the lights using Wireless data on my Iphone, when travelling?

2. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Is that a limitation of TRÅDFRI? I thought that the idea of HomeKit and using a hub such as Apple TV means that you can control devices when you’re away from your home. I can control any Phillips smart device through Siri or my phone when away from my home and on a different network including cellular

3. petalino thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm...
    Do I need to have an Apple TV too? The Tradfri has its own Hub or Gateway already. I guess that the only way is to buy an Apple Tv too? Don't really need it otherwise. I use Hulu and Netflix on my Mac

4. chrfr macrumors 604

You can use a HomePod or an iPad as your HomeKit hub as well.

5. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

I believe that you do need a hub to work remotely. That will either be Apple TV or an iPad left at home switched on and connected

6. waw74 macrumors 68040

they used a little bit of confusing names

a "hub" and a "homekit hub" are 2 different things

a "hub" (like for tradfi or Hue) connects between your lights and your home network

a "homekit hub" allows you to connect to your devices away from home
    can use ...
    appleTV (3,4, or 4k)
    HomePod (any)
    iPad (running recent iOS version)​