How to Convert a bunch of jpg files to a file size of 900k

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by redsquash, Jan 13, 2014.

1. redsquash macrumors member

How do I convert a bunch ( about 2.3gb)of jpg files to a file size of 900k or less.
    All the files are of different sizes and names and are camera photos.
    Presently I have to
    1 open each individual file
    2 click export
    3 adjust quality to 900k
    4then save .
    About 17 hours I estimate non stop to complete
    I an a very basic user , never used terminal or scripts and do not know how to write them.
    Can I highlight and convert all at once to the one size using Maverick applications?This would be a one time process I would go through
    Thanks in advance

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Easy Batch Photo can do that. It's in the App store.

3. simsaladimbamba

You could give Resize! a go. Can you tell us, which photo management software you use?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just drag them all into iPhoto (should be included in your /Applications folder), then select the photos you want to compress. Now go to File menu and pick export. You will get a screen that allows you to select from several size and compressing options. Once the export if done you can just delete the files from iPhoto if you want.

5. kaibob macrumors regular

The OP appears to have moved on, but I thought I would suggest a simple command-line solution that can be used to reduce the size of image files.

First, create two folders (say phototemp and photonew) and copy the original image files to the phototemp folder. Then, run the following command in a terminal window. Change "JPG" to the actual extension of the image files, making sure to observe upper- and lower-case.

sips -Z 1280 ~/phototemp/*.JPG --out ~/photonew/

The number, 1280, is the maximum horizontal or vertical size of the resampled image. The OP wants to specify a maximum file size but this appears not to be directly possible with sips.

I ran the above command on 117 digital photos taken with my iPhone. The approximate reduction in size was from 8 MB to 650 KB, and this took about 45 seconds total on my 2012 base Mac mini. As expected, the dimensions of the resized images were all 1280 x 960 or 960 x 1280.