How to convert a Master Boot Record into GUID Partition Table to install Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by gguerini, Aug 25, 2011.

1. gguerini macrumors regular

gguerini

Hi guys,

I was one of the lucky ones that had a flawed Intel 320 SSD. I was already using Lion few weeks ago when my SSD "crashed" and I lost everything. Fortunately, I had another HDD (optibay) and I managed to install Snow Leopard there until I could fix my SSD. Last night I installed the new firmware on my 320 SSD and it became alive again. I decided to use SuperDuper to clone my HHD with Snow Leopard to my SSD. It worked great, BUT, my SSD is now a MBR (Master Boot Record) and I can't install Lion on it. The installations tells me to go to Disk Utility and change the partition scheme, but it doesn't let me do it.

Is there a way to convert from MBR into GUID Partition Table?

Did I do something wrong with SuperDuper? Or should I just erase the SSD, change the partition to GUID and then "clone" my HDD again without the boot option?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thank you all!

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Sure, reformat the drive.
    I had three that needed that treatment before I could install Lion.
    Once it's reformatted, you can restore content with SuperDuper!. It doesn't mess with partition table format.

3. gguerini thread starter macrumors regular

gguerini

This is what I ended up doing. I reformatted the SSD, then I changed the table scheme and finally, cloned the HD. It's working properly now! Thanks.