How to convert Avi to FC .mov

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by K Fields, Jun 28, 2007.

1. K Fields macrumors newbie

Hello, hello... First post here!
    Although I am well equipped with many video files conversion softwares, I can't find a solution to AVI > Final Cut's MOV format.

What I do is ripping DVDs with Mac the Ripper, than converting these VOB into FC MOV files with DVDxDVpro > so the final video file doesn't need rendering.

The thing is, when I download or deal with Dvix, Mpeg or AVI files DVDxDVPro doesn't work. I couldn't find any AVI> VOB file converter, so I could still use DVDx, so I tried AVI> MOV and found DivX Doctor II software. The problem is that it doesn't give me a Final Cut Mov file, and then all must get rendered when editting.

Does someone have any suggestion? I would like to know if there is any other software that could help, specially one AVI > VOB converter.

I was also thinking of burning AVI with Toast and getting a _TS file so then DVDxDVPro could read it, perhaps... But then, how do I proceed with a AVI coming from a DVD? Do I need to save the file in my HD first? Or could I simply pull the file from the DVD to Toast?

Thanx

K.

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

You should be able to open most of those video formats in Quicktime Pro, which you should have received with your copy of Final Cut Pro. From Quicktime Pro, you can export those videos directly to MOV, compressing with DV/DVCPRO, which is FCP's native compressor for standard definition content.

3. K Fields thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, thanks!
    Unfortunatelly I haven't got QuickTime Pro, but I'll sort this out... I couldn't stand the endless encoding of Toast!

But could you tell me how to proceed with QuickTime? Should I open AVI and then export to MOV/DV? (Is it easy to get along with the software?)

Cheers,

K.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Are you sure you don't have Quicktime Pro? That's installed with every legal purchase of Final Cut Pro. Did you buy FCP or download it?

In Quicktime Pro, you would just open the AVI file, then choose File > Export... and you will be able to choose to export it as a Quicktime Movie, and set the compressor to DV/DVCPRO NTSC or PAL. Conversion is usually very fast.