How to convert .avi to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MathiasDK, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathiasDK macrumors newbie

Hi

I have tried to search Google but couldn't find anything usable.

I have some divx-movies (.avi) on my computer that I want to convert so I can watch them on my iPhone. I have tried Handbreak but it doesn't work.

What program should I use?

M

2. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

3. MathiasDK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I forgot to mention that I have a Mac.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Mpeg Streamclip :)

Oh and don't forget to install Perian as well, which basically expands what formats apps like Mpeg Streamclip can work with.

5. alvink83 macrumors newbie

I use kvip

For me, I use kvip because it's really easy to use and conversion quality is not bad.

Cheers~~

6. Italchef macrumors 6502

Great suggestions guys. Thanks. I was looking for something like this the other day.
    Mick

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

8. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

9. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)

doesnt' quicktime pro give you sync issues with the sound? at least that was the problem I was running into when I was converting .avi files last year to watch on my ipod

10. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

No it doesn't. So +1 to quicktime.
    You could also use the new version of Handbrake.

11. acgeorge macrumors newbie

any of those previously listed free?

12. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Quicktime no. You will need to buy a license for the export option.
    Handbrake however is free. It's a super app. You can rip DVD's straight to iPod format in just a few clicks. It comes with a load of presets for all the iPod types and many other portable video devices too.

You can find it here http://handbrake.fr/

13. nanvinnie macrumors regular

14. jdabestani macrumors newbie

15. jordandab macrumors newbie

File Wiggler

File Wiggler is free & secure way to convert your audio/video. I use it to convert music & videos to watch on my iPhone. Just upload your file or copy/paste the URL from any webpage, and select the format to convert to. After the file is done they send you an email with a link to download your file.

16. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I fully support Handbrake! Super simple and easy to use and is quick as long as you allow your graphics card to accelerate the conversion!

17. ElZeus macrumors regular

try cinexplayer, then you don't have to convert. :cool:

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Quicktime X can do it. Just open your movie in Quicktime X, File > Export and choose the iPhone file type.

19. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

I also suggest www.handbrake.fr It's free and it works fast. Just choose the iPhone preset, select your input file, and hit start and tell it where to save. It's easy and you dont need to know anything about transcoding.

----------

Oh, and if you're at home and have wifi, just use AirVideo. There's a free trial version at the app store if you want to try it first.

You install the app on the iphone, and then install the server software on your desktop, and then open the the app on the iphone and then point it to your desktop's IP address and you can live stream your videos to your iphone without have to convert the .avi first and waiting. I can't imagine using my ipad without it.

20. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Another vote for Handbrake. I find it to be one of the easiest to use converters/rippers. And it is multi platform. Also the output quality is great with small file size.

21. Darkipoduser macrumors newbie

RushPlayer+

I found a wonderful way to watch .avi files on my iPhone, its a cydia app called "RushPlayer+". its a paid app but i used the HYI repo to get it for free. I use it to watch Supernatural episodes :D I put the files in general_storage folder and locate them from the app. you dont need to convert anything, you can watch it directly

22. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

hey don't you use a app like "Goodplayer"? also if you want to watch videos that are in .avi while at home you can as long as your Mac is on via app called "Air Video" it converts them on the fly and you can watch any video as long on same WiFi on your iPhone regardless of what format. But instead of wasting time converting your best bet is to get "Goodplayer" it is the absolute must have app as it supports ALL FORMATS and works the best (I have bought Goodplayer, Azule and CineXplayer....I can say Goodplayer beats them all)

23. jkauff macrumors member

If you want to spend a couple bucks, the HD Player Pro app will play just about anything you throw at it. Better playback quality than Goodplayer and the built-in Videos app.

For conversion, I'd suggest you look at Media Coder as well as Handbrake. It has profiles for all of the iPhone models, including the 5, transcodes faster than Handbrake and creates smaller files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.