Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drummer05

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Need v1.5 pdf

If you create a PDF using the print option you get a v1.3 PDF. I need v1.5. Any suggestions?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
If you create a PDF using the print option you get a v1.3 PDF. I need v1.5. Any suggestions?

What particular feature of the v1.5 specification do you need? Acrobat will typically save output using v1.5 (or higher), but, unless you need those added features, you just lose compatibility with older viewers by forcing v1.5.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... I need v1.5. Any suggestions?
My suggestion is to forget about PDF v1.5. I have used Acrobat Pro for more than a decade, including the current Acrobat Pro 9.4. I know of nothing that the current version can do that I could not do back in the 1990s. This includes such features as stamps, signatures, and JavaScript computations based on user responses.

PDF is my preferred format for embedded graphics in my page layout application. The layout program application will not open and cannot import PDF v1.5. Any v1.5 PDF files, I convert to an earlier version using Acrobat Pro. Printed on a genuine PostScript printer, the older format graphics appear indistinguishable from their PDF v1.5 versions.

To repeat telecomm's question: "Why do you need PDF v1.5?"

SpiceGrrl

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2010
Los Angeles
PDF conversion software, for HI-SECURITY PDF's

Jumping in to this old but important thread--I just went Mac last week so I am a Mac newbie. I need the ability to convert Word docs not just to PDFs but to high security PDFs with some functions restricted (e.g. readers cannot copy or edit). On my PC I used PDF Factory and it worked fine. But there is no Mac version of that software. Any suggestions? It does not have to be free. Happy to pay for a good product if it's really good.

Thanks in advance,

SpiceGrrl

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Jumping in to this old but important thread--I just went Mac last week so I am a Mac newbie. I need the ability to convert Word docs not just to PDFs but to high security PDFs with some functions restricted (e.g. readers cannot copy or edit). On my PC I used PDF Factory and it worked fine. But there is no Mac version of that software. Any suggestions? It does not have to be free. Happy to pay for a good product if it's really good.

Thanks in advance,

SpiceGrrl
With all due respect, you are wasting your time. Adobe Acrobat Pro can produce certified PDFs. That is to say that your recipient can be assured that a PDF that is supposed to originate with you actually originated with you. However, there is simply no way that you can prevent a reader from copying the contents of a text-based document. Every Mac can take screenshots which can then be OCRed. Heck. If push comes to shove, then the determined snooper can retype the contents of a file that he cannot electronically copy.

High security PDF? Yeah, right!

pessi

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
pdfaid

You can use the application at http://pdfaid.com.
Its quite easy to use, does it fast and accurately.
However, the file size limitation for free users is 20Mb.

Cheers

I transfer some doc files to mac,
in order to view it, I need to convert to pdf.

please recommend me some app which has this functionality.

cheer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.