Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
I am making a demo DVD- not trying to illegally copy commercial DVDs or anything like that (!)- but need to get material from various (non copy-protected) DVDs so I can combine them in DVD Studio Pro... is there a simple way of doing this without losing quality? I only need the video from the discs (they have no menus).

They are SD TV programs- running about 30 mins each if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
I am making a demo DVD- not trying to illegally copy commercial DVDs or anything like that (!)- but need to get material from various (non copy-protected) DVDs so I can combine them in DVD Studio Pro... is there a simple way of doing this without losing quality? I only need the video from the discs (they have no menus).

They are SD TV programs- running about 30 mins each if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

yes. try handbrake :)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Handbrake will only give you another highly MPEG-4 compressed video, unsuitable for DVD Studio Pro.

If you have Final Cut Studio, rip the DVDs via MacTheRipper to your HDD, open the Video_TS folder in MPEG Streamclip and export to DV or a QuickTime using the DV codec and then you can either use that exported video in DVDSP or hunt it through Compressor first.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
(I will try this anyway but thought I'd ask in case anyone else knows better)

Would loading the VIDEO_TS folder in MPEG Streamclip and selecting the 'Demux to M2V and AC3' setting output a file usable in DVD Studio Pro which hasn't lost quality from the original DVD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.