How to convert Flash Video Files to import to iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rockinrocker, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

So I've used TubeTV (http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/tubetv/)
    to download Youtube videos, and would like to edit in iMovie, but it doesn't support .fvl (I think is the file suffix).

Does anyone know of a free option for converting them to an appropriate format?

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Cool, didn't realize handbrake could do that.

Thanks.

4. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

But wait, when I select the .flv file it doesn't show up and Handbrake just says "No valid title found". Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe I'll just look for Streamclip.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Hmm, I just opened one from You Tube in 0.9.3 Handbrake and it worked just fine.

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

if you have quicktime pro you can open it and export it, or just select the entire video, click and drag to desktop. Doing that will create a small reference movie that is Quicktime/iMovie compatible, and you can edit that I guess.

I never tried personally, but you should still be able to edit the reference movie and export it from iMovie as a full movie.

I know making reference movies are a hell of a lot faster and you can use that method to add to iTunes, but they could take up a lot of space after a while, even if they're not actually movies themselves.

((Reference movies are like video shortcuts or Aliases. Quicktime opens it, and it gets the info from the actual file wherever it is. If you delete the original file, the reference movie will not work. ))

7. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Hmm... interesting option.

Thanks for the input everyone.

8. POSIXFTW macrumors newbie

POSIXFTW