How to convert FullHD .TS and .MKV files for PS3 using HandBrake?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Rewes, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Rewes macrumors member

Hi!

I have been working on this for the past week or so but I can't seem to get this to work. I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm trying to convert a .TS and a .MKV files that would play on my Playstation 3, both are FullHD files. The .MKV is not that important as I can do the convertation on Windows.

When I convert the file using HandBrake it works on my Mac but not on the PS3, where it just says that the file format is not supported or something similar. Is there a general settings for PS3 - one that would work? I search and tried a bunch with no luck. This is really starting to frustrate me, I trully hope someone could help.

Thanks! :D

2. eddyg macrumors 6502

Frustrated? The PS 3 does that to you. Unfortunatly noone who uas any nonce in the area has a PS3 and so it is still a black art of trial
    And error.

3. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot very helpful. The PS3 is very good in a lot of file formats but just the HandBrake converted items seem to be problematic.

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Don't forget to check your file size, especially if your converting full HD video. I use Handbrake to convert stuff for my PS3 and sometimes I forget that the file must be less than 4GB in size or the PS3 will not play it. This can be difficult when converting full 1080P like blu ray because the original file sizes are so large. Are you using the PS3 preset or custom format choices?

5. Rewes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Is the 4gb limit valid also if I stream the content from my Mac? I tried the PS3 preset and the file plays well in QT but not on the PS3. I'm not sure what to do next as I'm not that familiar with HandBrake.

6. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

In HandBrake, under Picture Settings set the cropping section to Custom, and make sure all 4 settings are set to 0. See if that works on your PS3.
    I can't remember if the PS3 likes m4v extensions as well, so make sure the output is set to mp4. They are the essentially the same thing (few Apple extras found in the m4v) and you can just rename m4v to mp4, but as eddyg says the PS3 is really picky about certain things.
    Cheers

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I've heard others say that file size doesn't matter if you are streaming, but on my system I can't get anything over 4gb to play, even if streaming. I use the PS3 preset to make an mp4 file. If it's a large file and I need to decrease the size a lot then I change the average bitrate on the video tab from 2500 to 1500. I use a 8gb memory stick to transfer files to the PS3 or I just watch them directly off of the memory stick on the PS3 and then delete off the stick when I'm done. I have a 50" Panasonic 720p plasma and the quality is great for me. I'm no audiophile/videophile and I'm sure others are more picky than me, but I don't have problems with screen artifacts or pixelation.

Another thing about streaming, I have problems with stuttering if I try to stream any HD content. Keep in mind I'm streaming wireless at G speeds as my home is not hard wire networked from my office to the living room. Hope this helps.

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

PS3 is a crapshoot. I have files that will sometimes play and show up as unsupported format other times. It's very frustrating.

Divx files seem to work pretty well. Probably because they licensed it and got some help with it.

Have you tried the Generic setting?

9. marksandvig macrumors regular

i just do the preset setting on my PS3 and port them over to my spare 160gb external.. Quality is perfect running from that but im not audio/videophile either. Ive seen 700mb divx run on the ps3 that look just fine.

10. impact1290 macrumors newbie

when selecting the PS3 preset, what other settings should be chosen to keep the quality closest to the original bluray while still being able to play it on the PS3?