Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wajojo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hi, guys. Is there any way to convert my iTunes Audio books to mp3 that can be enjoyed on zune player?

I am using OS X Leopard fully up to date (10.5.5) on a 15" Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. iTunes 8.

Thanks for the help in advance:)

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Yes. You'll have to decrypt them first.

Mac only. I can't help you if you use Windows, I don't have a Windows box to test it on, nor the interest in using Windows. This falls under fair use which as far as I know is allowed on this forum. If not, mods please delete.

Prep:

1. Download Requiem 1.7.4 from The Pirate Bay
2. Download the key backup and restore scripts from http://www.box.net/shared/ixq0bfrqcg
3. Backup your ~/Music/iTunes/ folder. Copy it to an external harddrive or to another location on your harddrive such as ~/Desktop/
4. Delete ~/Music/iTunes/ if you copied it, but if you just moved it to your desktop, you won't have to delete it.
5. Downgrade to iTunes 7.7.1 (this would be another whole tutorial, use Google.)
6. Add one of the audio books, songs, movies, or TV shows you've purchase and make sure it plays in iTunes 7.7.1. You may have to reauthorize your computer.
7. Use the Key Backup script that you downloaded earlier.
8. Move the iTunes library folder you backed up earlier back into its regular location at ~/Music/iTunes/
9. Upgrade to iTunes 8.0.1. Your library should load automatically. If it didn't, just reimport everything.

Okay, everything is prepped. time to decrypt. You will need to follow the next steps every time you want to decrypt something or a group of things. iTunes 8.0.1 automatically replaces the decryption key files, so you'll have to restore them with the restore script, otherwise you'll get errors when trying to use Requiem. Or theoretically you could just set the files as read-only, but I haven't tested that. Suppose I should. Oh well.

Decrypt:

1. Use the Key Restore script.
2. Locate the "mac" directory in the Requiem 1.7.4 torrent you downloaded. It comes with all versions. You'll see three things: decrypt, decryptall, and RequiemDroplet. We're going to use the RequiemDroplet.
3. Find the audio book you want to use on your Zune (oh, I just realized that you have a Zune and this entire tutorial will be useless to you because you probably use Windows. Oh well, I'll keep typing, I've already made it this far. EDIT: Just read your post again and see you have Leopard. That boggles my mind, how do you get stuff onto your Zune?) in iTunes. Right click on it and click "Show in Finder" ... this will take you right to the file.
4. Rename the file from *.m4b to *.m4p (Requiem doesn't support *m4b for whatever reason, so we're going to trick Requiem into thinking this is a protected song, which is *m4p)
5. Drag it to the RequiemDroplet. It will decrypt and place the decrypted file right next to the original file. it will be called *.m4a
6. Sync that *.m4a to your Zune and call it a day. The Zune supports AAC audio.

wajojo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Thanks for your help. I've both windows and mac. but i am just wondering if there is any convenient way to convert those m4b file to mp3 or aac on the mac for use on zune player and my iphone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.