How to convert MPEG-2 to VIDEO_TS

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fredlave, Feb 6, 2008.

1. fredlave macrumors newbie

I bought a Toshiba DVD recorder which I have connected to my TV. I use it primarily to record movies from cable's Turner Classic Movies onto DVD-RW discs. I would like to edit the recordings to eliminate extraneous footage at the beginning and the end of the recordings and burn them to DVD-R discs. To do this I d'loaded MPEG Streamclip and bought Apple's QT MPEG Player. After editing a movie in MPEG Streamclip I did a "Save As" MPEG which is supposed to allow the edited file to be loaded into Toast 8.0.3 and converted to a VIDEO_TS file. However, I do not know what settings to use in Toast to accomplish this. Can anyone help?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

The quickest and easiest method would be to purchase a DVD recorder with a built-in hard drive. Record the programs to the hard drive and edit them directly on the hard drive without any conversion needed. Once edited, copy to disc - all done in one machine.

-DH

3. fredlave thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it out.

I figured out how to convert an MPEG-2 file to a file that will play in a set top DVD player using Toast.
    After editing the movie in Streamclip and doing a "Save As" MPEG, Toast 8.0.3 is launched and the Video/DVD-Video section is opened. The MPEG-2 file from Streamclip is dragged into the Toast window. In the "Options" section, "Auto Play Disc on insert" is checked. "Play all items continuously" is unchecked and "Encoding" is set to Automatic. "Video Quality" is "Best". Burning is set to "Save As Disc Image" (I always burn to a disc in case something in the setup is wrong) and mount the resulting disc image on the desktop. If it plays in DVD Player I'll burn it to disc. This is much faster than the way I used to save movies from TCM: Record the movie to my HD using a Canopus analog to digital converter and iMovie 6. Edit the resulting .DV file in iMovie6. Export to iDVD and create a burnable disc image. These steps take several hours.

4. fredlave thread starter macrumors newbie

DVD Recorders with built-in HDs.

Thank you for replying.
    I checked this out and HD equipped DVD recorders are very expensive, $300US and up. I bought my Toshiba D-R 400 from Circuit City for $99US and free shipping.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

OK ... let's say you bought this model for $319.00 ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...DVDR3575H_37_DVDR3575H_DVD_Recorder_with.html ). According to you, the process you choose takes several hours. And let's say you do this for one show you record once a week. So you save yourself $119.00. And the trade-off is that it costs is several hours of your time each week, every week, as long as you keep recording that one program. Imagine now that you record two shows a week ... or four ... or six. How much is your time worth? Several hours each and every week, 52 weeks a year vs. an initial savings of $219.00. I know which one I'd choose.

We've all heard the old saying; "time is money." Nothing could be further from the truth. If you lose money, it can always be replaced. But you can never replace lost or wasted time.

-DH