Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavyaz19

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Once I buy a 3G iphone, will it be possible for me to disable my old phone from at&t but still use it like an ipod touch?

Will I still be able to use wi-fi?

Will I be able to update the software?

Will I be able to download apps from the appstore?

Again, all of this after being deactivated from at&t one I have my 3G iPhone in hand.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Thats an interesting question and I would imagine many people would like to do that if they decide not to sell it.

The short answer is no to all questions. You will probably need to hack it.

sowza1

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
NYC
Not sure

Good question, but I would almost say yes to all except for the wi fi. You would be able to use is as if it was in airplane mode.

Then again, who knows. We'll all know on July 11th.

I hope they make some stuff easy for us early iphone owners.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
you will need to hack the phone - jailbreak, activate and probably unlock (as unlocking is now done together with activation)

Will I still be able to use wi-fi?
this lets you use ALL the features of iPhone, except anything that uses the cellular network, so wifi will work

Will I be able to update the software?
not as soon as it is released, but the hackers will work on software 2.0 and a hack will be released - there are already several for the beta versions

Will I be able to download apps from the appstore?
probably, but time will tell

pavyaz19

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2008
you will need to hack the phone - jailbreak, activate and probably unlock (as unlocking is now done together with activation)

this lets you use ALL the features of iPhone, except anything that uses the cellular network, so wifi will work

not as soon as it is released, but the hackers will work on software 2.0 and a hack will be released - there are already several for the beta versions

probably, but time will tell

I never "jailbreak'd" my phone so I don't fully understand the process... You have to jailbreak, then activate (does that mean through itunes?) then unlock it? (I assume unlocking it has something to do with jailbreak).

Lastly, do I have to do this process before the 2.0 software is released? I'd much rather start messing with my old iphone once I am safely using the new 3G iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.