How to convert SQLite schema to CSV format?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Narendar Singh, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Narendar Singh macrumors member

Narendar Singh

I have few rows in SQLite schema, I want to mail this data in CSV format from my iOS application.

How can I achieve this?

FYI my schema has following columns:
    name | dob | mobile_number

2. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

A dumb way would be to have three arrays, one for each column.

You have to write a SQL query for each column in the table.

Then you can easily create the CSV string:

Code:
    NSString *csvString = @"name, dob, mobile_number";
    for (int i = 0; i < totalRows; i++) {
        csvString = [csvString stringByAppendingString:[NSString stringWithFromat:@"\n%@, %@, %@", [names objectAtIndex:i], [dobs objectAtIndex:i], [mobile_numbers objectAtIndex:i]]];
    }

3. chown33 macrumors 604

There is an NSArray method that returns all an array's components joined by a given string. If the array held one complete row, and the string is a comma, you'll get CSV (or the simple-minded version of it). The method is componentsJoinedByString:.

"Simple-minded" means it won't account for quotes or commas in a component string. So if one of the strings in the array was @"Oops, it broke", then you'd end up with a comma where it shouldn't be.

As with many things in programming, a better CSV generator can be built up from smaller simpler parts. If the OP isn't interested in doing that, then like many things in programming, a little searching can often find someone else's code. For example, google search terms: CSV objective-C or cocoa csv

4. Narendar Singh thread starter macrumors member

Narendar Singh