How to convert Tiff to word doc?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr January, May 9, 2011.

1. Mr January macrumors newbie

I need to be able to edit some text and size of a memo which was scanned. Its a tiff file, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I don't have a particular package to recommend, but OCR software recognizes text in images and converts the image to text that you can edit. I'm sure there's plenty out there you can try. I'm guessing some packages will try to handle handwritten characters as well as type-written letters, but i don't know the state of that sort of thing.

-Lee

3. subsonix, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011

subsonix macrumors 68040

I don't think you can do that, if you are referring to editing text inside the image. TIFF is an image format.

4. Blazer24K macrumors member

Blazer24K

Yep, Lee is correct. Your only option is finding some software with OCR capabilities so it can "read" the document and guess what the characters are meant to be. OCR is always a bit hit-and-miss depending on the image quality and size of the file, so there's usually still some hand-editing that needs to be done. You can try doing a web search for OCR to see if there's any freeware out there, or if you're lucky enough to have Adobe Acrobat installed, you can use it's built-in OCR feature.

Just remember to always ask yourself this... Could you have just re-typeset the document in the time it took you to hunt down a "quick" fix? lol... I bust myself with this all the time... :D

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

+1

A tiff is an image file. You'll probably be able to recreate the file faster in a program like indesign/photoshop faster than you could decode the tiff and edit the text. I would import the tiff into photoshop, edit out the text, then add back your own text in photoshop/indesign.

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Depending on how long it is, if you don't have access to OCR software (acrobat, etc.), you should probably just retype it. You could try out Google's OCR, but I've heard it's not too great...yet.

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Unless its a 10+ page memo, retype it.