Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Effortless

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
West Kent, UK
Hi,

I've discovered the "convert higher bit rate songs to 128kbps AAC" option when syncing my new iPhone, and it's given me loads of free space on the iPhone.

This must mean that I must have (unknowingly) burned songs to my iTunes at higher rates. As the my hard drive on my laptop is nearly full, is there an easy way to convert these files to 128 in iTunes, as well as on my iPhone??

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Effortless

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
In iTunes prefs, choose AAC for encoder and select the bitrate you want to use. In the view options, select to show bitrate. Then, sort your library by bitrate and select the high bitrate songs you want to convert. Go to Advanced--> Create AAC version and let it run. Then, delete the originals.

This is a bad idea though. If you want to save space, you are better off re-ripping your CDs. Creating a lossy file from another lossy file is going to degrade the quality.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If you just want to lower the quality, find a batch converter and then replace the songs in Finder. That way you won't lose playcount data.
I don't know of any specific apps though. Personally I'd reboot into Windows and use my iTunes there and then replace the original songs.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I honestly don't think you'll notice a difference converting lossy to lossy 1 time (if it's not something you already know about, then you likely won't notice).

However, as mentioned, converting from the source CD or lossless files is the best policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.