How to Convert Video TS to .DV file for iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeT125, May 26, 2009.

1. MikeT125 macrumors regular

I want to know if there is way to take Video TS files and convert them straight into a .DV file so they can be edited in iMovie.

My situation is that I use a program like Mac the Ripper to extract a DVD into the Audio and Video TS folders. My step 2 is to use Handbrake to convert it to MPEG and then MPEG-Streamclip to convert it to .DV

The problem I am having is that while this process works, the final product video quality is slightly off. I know that the loss is either in Handbrake or the MPEG-Streamclip program. How can I go straight to DV, either through a program or straight from the DVD?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

If I go and select the Video TS file will it have the audio attached to it? I ask because there is a separate Audio TS folder and I have always thought that the extraction separated the two.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it references the audio.

5. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

6. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Open up the AUDIO_TS folder and you will see that it is empty. Audio is muxed in the vob files in the VIDEO_TS folder.

7. hak187 macrumors member

You can also use Roxio Toast Titanium to convert dvd (the disc, iso file or video_ts) to dv as well.

8. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

Yes, but MPEG Streamclip is free and open source(?) whereas Toast Titanium, while easy to use is not cheap.

9. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

The mPeg streamclip is telling me that I need to buy an add on from Apple to play MPEG files even though I asked it to make a DV file. I am not sure why it is doing that.