how to convert WMA files to MP3 files.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dragade3789, Feb 19, 2009.

1. dragade3789 macrumors newbie

I am hoping to convert WMA files to MP3 formate on a mac. I tried out the program named switch but I was unable to make that work (I was only using the trial version anyway.

I did see the thread that was started in Nov 06 but it seems to be a little too old for discussion sakes. I was also hopping for new information/evolution of programs and freeware. I will try what it says about switch but I doubt it will work.

If you have any other programs, I would love to hear about them. (just as a side note, the WMA files could be protected. I dont know if they are and I dont know how to know if they are or are not. I read on the switch application page that it supports the decoded version of WMA thus that might be the reason it doesnt work)

Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

iTunes can do it as well for unprotected files, anyway.

3. dragade3789 thread starter macrumors newbie

rjs, you can import wma files to itunes to convert them? i have only been able to use wav files.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have before, and I think it will automatically convert them when you add them to the library.

5. rWally macrumors regular

I realize you'd like you listen to your files on your Mac but I have to warn you that re-encoding a lossy format like wma into another lossy format like MP3 will degrade the sound quality greatly.

If it all possible, re-rip your CDs (if you have them) or find a way to re-acquire your music in MP3 or AAC (ALAC or FLAC is even better). Just my 2 cents.

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

No. Itunes will not convert, or use WMA's. The only thing the OP can do is Burn the wma's to a CD using windows media player, then re rip them using itunes.

7. rWally macrumors regular

And you're still stuck with the transcoding issue. You're better off getting the original CDs and re-ripping them.

8. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

Try:
    http://www.easywma.com/

Otherwise:

I was able to convert WMA to MP3 in QTPro awhile back, but you need a QTPro key, otherwise the EasyWMA demo should do fine.

But like most have suggested a true re-rip would be beneficial and way better for you instead of going through mess and hassle

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Windows version of iTunes WILL convert.

10. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

yeah, its' pretty annoying. the windows version converts wma to aac but the mac version won't

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's because MS includes its own inferior WMA codecs with windows, and did not make the codec available for OSX.

iTunes use the codecs available to it under each OS.

Take note that WMA codecs are inferior than mp3.

Quality wise for same size file,
    Mp4 (AAC) > Mp3 > WMA

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ahh, that must be why it did it for me. I did all the conversion before I got my Mac.