How to convince Apple employee not to open the box?

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
So I'm trying to get the 6 or 6 plus for someone, but they want it sealed.

How do I convince the Apple employee not to open the seal to activate it to "ensure it's working properly"?

I remembered when I got my 5S during launch, they made me open the seal, and told me I can't leave without it if it's not opened.

What do I need to say?

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
If you've paid for it I don't see how they can make you open it in the store.
I'm going to try and open my when I get in the car instead of in the store, I hate unboxing stuff in store

Last edited:

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
it's that simple?

maybe the guy was being a jackazz, but he had me convinced that I must open it, otherwise I leave empty-handed

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
So I'm trying to get the 6 or 6 plus for someone, but they want it sealed.

How do I convince the Apple employee not to open the seal to activate it to "ensure it's working properly"?

I remembered when I got my 5S during launch, they made me open the seal, and told me I can't leave without it if it's not opened.

What do I need to say?
You just paid at least £500 for a phone, you can do what you want with it!

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I remember a rep once telling me they had to open the box to activate the phone. I told him to shove it!

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I'm sorry but if you purchased it and don't require the Apple employee's help then they can get stuffed.

Some of them really do get a warm fuzzy feeling by opening an iPhone box.

Just say no.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Yeah just tell them you don't want it opened. I had to do this a couple of years ago when I was buying an iPhone to mail to my brother because they were all sold out in his area.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
You needed someone to tell you to stand up for yourself?
uhh no, I just need to know what the rules are.

I dont wanna walk away empty handed

relax

not everyone is as high and mighty as you sir

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Dude your paying your money so go in like a pitbull!!
Going in like a pitbull is rarely a good idea. And if you're trying to get someone to bend a rule (doesn't apply in this case since it's not against the rules), going in like a pitbull significantly diminishes your chances of success.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Once money has exchanged hands the goods are yours. You don't have to leave store or anything. They're your goods the moment money's exchanged. That applies to any transaction (in the uk) you can do what you want with it from that moment on. You don't even need a recipt. It's not uk law to provide one. It's only done to ease any returns. If they open it before you hand over money it's still there's. You don't have to accept it/hand over money. If they want to ruin stock that's their doin/choice but if they offer you an open iphone and you accept the offer to buy that's your choice. I like to open my own iphone as its part of the expereince.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Uh, guys. It's not the employee who decides to make you open the box. All the procedures are sent from corporate and the managers enforce the rules corporate decides on. If you have an issue and don't want to open the box in store, don't take it out on the employee who is just doing what they're supposed to be doing. Just kindly ask if they can ask a manager if you can open it at home. That's it.

They normally do this because people would buy phones and immediately re-sell them. If they're opened, they lose a little value and may deter resellers. It also makes sure everything activates properly and that your phone isn't all scratched or something out of the box (remember scuff-gate?).

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Apple store in US requires activation before leaving store for 5S. Not even a manager would allow me to leave without activating in store. Don't know where you guys are getting your info about "just walking out with it"... Not here.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
You might want to make that clear to them before they even think of opening the box. Last time I bought a phone at best buy they opened the box and took off all the plastic without thinking twice about it. No big deal for me, but I can definitely see how that would irritate people.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
uhh no, I just need to know what the rules are.

I dont wanna walk away empty handed

relax

not everyone is as high and mighty as you sir
Going in with an understanding of policies and expectations is prudent. And regardless of what some seem to think, courtesy will typically end up getting you further than obnoxiousness. I believe your question was quite reasonable.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
How to convince Apple employee not to open the box?

Most people who want them new in the box, sealed, are scalpers on eBay. Or to people standing in line. I completely understand why Apple has that policy as well as the stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.