How to convince Apple employee not to open the box?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 6thDAY, Sep 19, 2014.

1. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

So I'm trying to get the 6 or 6 plus for someone, but they want it sealed.

How do I convince the Apple employee not to open the seal to activate it to "ensure it's working properly"?

I remembered when I got my 5S during launch, they made me open the seal, and told me I can't leave without it if it's not opened.

What do I need to say?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

3. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

You just tell them. You don't have to convince them.

4. jk4lebron23, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

If you've paid for it I don't see how they can make you open it in the store.
    I'm going to try and open my when I get in the car instead of in the store, I hate unboxing stuff in store

5. 6thDAY thread starter macrumors 6502a

it's that simple?

maybe the guy was being a jackazz, but he had me convinced that I must open it, otherwise I leave empty-handed

6. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

You just paid at least £500 for a phone, you can do what you want with it!

7. 6thDAY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually its £1300 for an 6 and 6 plus...hahah

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I remember a rep once telling me they had to open the box to activate the phone. I told him to shove it!

9. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Speaking as a former Mac Genius, if you say you don't want it opened, he shouldnt question. If he presses the matter, you call for a manager. Easy.

10. 6thDAY thread starter macrumors 6502a

awesome, thanks dude!

11. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Oh yeah, sorry!

12. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I'm sorry but if you purchased it and don't require the Apple employee's help then they can get stuffed.

Some of them really do get a warm fuzzy feeling by opening an iPhone box.

Just say no.

13. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yeah just tell them you don't want it opened. I had to do this a couple of years ago when I was buying an iPhone to mail to my brother because they were all sold out in his area.

14. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You needed someone to tell you to stand up for yourself?

15. 6thDAY thread starter macrumors 6502a

uhh no, I just need to know what the rules are.

I dont wanna walk away empty handed

relax

not everyone is as high and mighty as you sir

16. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Dude your paying your money so go in like a pitbull!!

17. lithonius macrumors member

See! Standing up for yourself again! Proud of you, padawan!

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Going in like a pitbull is rarely a good idea. And if you're trying to get someone to bend a rule (doesn't apply in this case since it's not against the rules), going in like a pitbull significantly diminishes your chances of success.

19. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Once money has exchanged hands the goods are yours. You don't have to leave store or anything. They're your goods the moment money's exchanged. That applies to any transaction (in the uk) you can do what you want with it from that moment on. You don't even need a recipt. It's not uk law to provide one. It's only done to ease any returns. If they open it before you hand over money it's still there's. You don't have to accept it/hand over money. If they want to ruin stock that's their doin/choice but if they offer you an open iphone and you accept the offer to buy that's your choice. I like to open my own iphone as its part of the expereince.

20. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Uh, guys. It's not the employee who decides to make you open the box. All the procedures are sent from corporate and the managers enforce the rules corporate decides on. If you have an issue and don't want to open the box in store, don't take it out on the employee who is just doing what they're supposed to be doing. Just kindly ask if they can ask a manager if you can open it at home. That's it.

They normally do this because people would buy phones and immediately re-sell them. If they're opened, they lose a little value and may deter resellers. It also makes sure everything activates properly and that your phone isn't all scratched or something out of the box (remember scuff-gate?).

21. NewdestinyX macrumors 65816

Apple store in US requires activation before leaving store for 5S. Not even a manager would allow me to leave without activating in store. Don't know where you guys are getting your info about "just walking out with it"... Not here.

22. dave420 macrumors 65816

You might want to make that clear to them before they even think of opening the box. Last time I bought a phone at best buy they opened the box and took off all the plastic without thinking twice about it. No big deal for me, but I can definitely see how that would irritate people.

23. jamets515 macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind that if it pisses off a few scalpers that can't sell them as 'brand new sealed'.

24. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Going in with an understanding of policies and expectations is prudent. And regardless of what some seem to think, courtesy will typically end up getting you further than obnoxiousness. I believe your question was quite reasonable. [​IMG]

25. NewdestinyX macrumors 65816

How to convince Apple employee not to open the box?

Most people who want them new in the box, sealed, are scalpers on eBay. Or to people standing in line. I completely understand why Apple has that policy as well as the stores.