Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
Okay. First off, my schools Tech system (laptops/server) is not all that old. But all teachers and students agree (its a small school) its shockingly unreliable and badly set up.

I'm thinking that maybe I can produce a propasal/presentation for the IT team asking wether or not we should switch to mac.

Obviously I will need to illustrate the downsides which are:
Cost of completely new hardware ( I mean completely new. The server/network side has literally become unusable now)
Lerning curve (solution* mac is easy to learn, runs windows, and a large portion of the school uses mac at home. I could teach people how to! :) Not to mention the student IT teacher uses Mac)

but I want to focus on the good sides.
Obviously mac is better from a user point of view. Most files taken from windows it is compatible with, and you can save iWork files to work with windows. It is built for dummies (no offence). And is slightly more reliable. But what about from an administrators point of view?

How does it work? Mac OS server? What benefits would there be?

In shorter words, how do I convince closed minded windows using IT guys to switch to mac?

[MONDO UPDATE]
I realized that switching to mac probably won't happen and probably won't benefit the school much...due to the hassle of switching....

But the other reason I posted here is because productivity is killed with the current set up and teachers really do use IT a lot at my school... I'm just wondering how I press for a change...maybe not a full hardware change but a serious reform of how it works.
Yes I am suggesting a mac because of my interest in mac. But the reason I thought to post of this today was that the server had problems today leaving half my class unable to log on to the computer or access their files. THis is very bad especially since it happens often.

I guess what I want to now know, is how to approach an adult whom I don't know, whom is obviously more technically aware than me, and whom is perhaps oblivious to the problems happening with these problems with out being condesending. I also want to learn how server networking stuff works.

-Omi

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
unless your school has money to spare (hard unless its a private school) you'll be **** out of luck (pardon the language)

most schools these days have no money whatsoever, and the IT department is the last place where they wanna spend whatever cash they have. maybe if all the students and parents get in a riot and address the school board directly, then MAYBE you'll have a chance. other than that, i don't know really. but i think your best bet is to address the parents and tell them to take this issue with the school board. once the school board sees that there are enough parents complaining, they might give some thought to it.

also, what kind of school is it? and where is it?

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
also, what kind of school is it? and where is it?

Kinda creepy, but what the heck. Its a small international school here in Tokyo. I am part of the useless piece of crap I didn't want to be a elected student council and I am the only who takes it seriously. I am really pushing to get stuff done, and I will probably meet with PTA on wednesday evening though not on this particular topic.

I'm kinda well known throughout the school and I think I can cause some commotion :p

Can't the school auction off old tech equipment for money? especially if its pretty new.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I agree, not the best idea. Windows is not bad either. I think buying macs and software is a very unwise use of taxdollars as it's not really needed I'd imagine. The issue is more likely the it dept than the computers in terms of network problems

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I expect it's more likely to be software licenses that are the problem, not hardware.

AppleMatt

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
I agree, not the best idea. Windows is not bad either. I think buying macs and software is a very unwise use of taxdollars as it's not really needed I'd imagine. The issue is more likely the it dept than the computers in terms of network problems

Yes, I believe you are right about the people.

The school was buying an entire new tech system last year :p teachers proposed to get macs and got declined.

The new tech system was even less reliable than the old one. Its seriously driving us all made.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Have a talk with the sys admin and get them on side if you can. If you can't it's hopeless as if the school switches then they'll likely be out of a job if they don't have any experience in the Mac OS, thus they'd never let such a switch happen.

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Yes, I believe you are right about the people.

The school was buying an entire new tech system last year :p teachers proposed to get macs and got declined.

The new tech system was even less reliable than the old one. Its seriously driving us all made.

Well, if they got a new system last year then I fail to see how a new system this year is going to help. I personally would not be very happy to spend money again, I would expect 5+ years out of an IT investment in that environment.

Perhaps your efforts would be more appreciated if you worked with the IT department to get the current setup working. Unfortunately I get the impression that you might be a "trouble maker" in the eyes of some people at your school and you will need to change that impression with them before they are going to listen to you.

Personally it sounds to me that your idea is born out of self interest (love for all things mac), the school board and IT departments hopefully would be making decisions in the interest of the school. These interests may not align, thats how the World works.

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
yes...you guys do know how to point out flaws in my plan! :)

Do how would I approach them about the completely $h!t IT system?

By not saying that!

Buy them a coffee and chat about some of the problems you are having with the current setup...see where that takes you.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I know some schools have tie-in's with Microsoft where they get licenses cheap and also some contracts with specific education oriented companies, like here in the UK it used to be RM or Viglen. I'm not sure if Apple provide such a deal?

(I may be talking out my back side here as I'm not familiar with your countries deal).

I'd engage the IT team to look at improving the current infrastructure.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
If your colleagues/teachers etc agree that the system needs updating, bring that up in a meeting. Perhaps don't jump straight to offering a solution, but first get people to be in agreement with you and push for a new system.

School techies are generally not very useful. I just use my macbook in school!

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Perhaps your efforts would be more appreciated if you worked with the IT department to get the current setup working. Unfortunately I get the impression that you might be a "trouble maker" in the eyes of some people at your school and you will need to change that impression with them before they are going to listen to you.
I see where you may get that idea and I throughly hope thats not true (to a certain extent :p ).

I just say I have an impression in the school because A) its not very large...tiny actually, and B) I have been told by teachers I am a good debater and public speaker. I don't really agree much, but i'm hoping it is true.

maybe switching to macs IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. However the I don't know how to stress how the IT system doesn't work and how it reduces productivity in a school that uses it often. I have been told by the tech teacher that the server has had many recent virus attacks recently and computer problems are growing. For example vital files for our GCSE coursework have 'vanished' off the disorganized network today. Also every computer in the school (no jokes) has suddenly lost every icon (except my computer and all programs) in the start menu, and applications in the all programs are vanishing. The desktops (usually a solid blue) have suddenly started flickering between dark blue and black and this is just a few non serious problems.

I do NOT know the IT team, and have only seen 2 guys around school. They are a bit scary :p

I have requested a media mac for video editing/photo editing got approved (to my surprise) but thats about it...

Yes I am suggesting a mac because of my interest in mac. But the reason I thought to post of this today was that the server had problems today leaving half my class unable to log on to the computer or access their files. THis is very bad especially since it happens often.

I guess what I want to now know, is how to approach an adult whom I don't know, whom is obviously more technically aware than me, and whom is perhaps oblivious to the problems happening with these problems with out being condesending. I also want to learn how server networking stuff works.

Thanks

-Omi

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Mac or PC, if not properly looked after you have similar issues. Switching to a Mac based on the information provided is silly and illustrates the thinking of a typical Apple user.

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
well pasco county schools here in florida use macs.. But, they are a smaller school district with less overhead. Its north of tampa and land is a lot less expensive and its cheaper to build new schools than in tampa. Also there are less students which means less teachers which means not as many computers to buy. I think it really depends on your school. Is this a private school? is this a type of magnet school? for example their is a magnet school that has a imphasis on technology which have computers that blow away all the other regular schools here but they defiantly do lack in other areas. If they just purchased new systems a year ago i would say you can forget it unless like you said its a couple of computers for a specialty class like maybe yearbook were the school can actually make money through the sales of yearbooks to purchase the computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.