How to convince someone to get a cheaper mac setup?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforcekid, May 27, 2009.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

A friend wants to get an 8 core base mac pro 8gb of ram and 1TB hard drive plus a high end MBA and ATV. He can afford it. he does email web and light photo editing. He said he dosent want to worry a bout slowing down etc. I suggested a Alu macbook and mini both high end plus atv any other ideas?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Or the iMac instead of the Mini...but for most people the Mac Pro is overkill...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While the Mini is powerful enough for most people, how come it matters to you so much what your friend buys? If he is thinking his MacPro is future proof he needs to be taught a nice lesson in technology. ;)

4. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

how long should the pro stay like new fast compared to an iMac or mini I think that's what he cares about.

5. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I don't want him to get ripped off in a sense sorta happend to me with my MacBook pro do I use it yes but it's overkill when I could have just updated my iMac and kept the air.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Theoretically as long as your friend doesn't upgrade his software. The machine should always be fine. iThink the iMac is the best bet... it would give your friend the option to advance to something beyond intro/basic photo editing into the mid-range or higher levels, where the mini would cause some problems.

7. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Good/bad news he just ordered it online part of me wants to open every application to see if I can freeze it took a while on mbp!

8. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Oh man that is a good choice. He knows he needs power and that is where his 8 core comes in. With the basic use, that SSD Air is awesome.