How to Cool Down rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNewbie02, Jul 23, 2012.

1. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Hi,

After using Paralles and playing some flash videos on Youtube, my rMBP gets a bit hot.

Is there a way to cool it? Once I close all the programs, it takes it some time before it cools down.

What do you do in order to keep your rMBP cool in general, and especially once it gets a bit hot?

2. PeterSharp macrumors member

Youtube:ClickToPlugin and switch to HTML5.

Parallels:
    Disable all the unnecessary windows service running in the background. What do you need windows for anyway?

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Dry ice.

4. PeterSharp macrumors member

Actually, what do you mean by that? Computers do get hot you know.. Is it more like "oh, it's a bit warm here.." or "omg this mbp is melting my desk and fans are so loud i can't hear myself"?

5. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

The computer relies on the aluminum body to act as a source of dissipating heat. It isn't so much that this comp runs hotter, but that it more effectively utilizes the aluminum body to unload heat. It's harder to distinguished this on a plastic laptop case, because plastic doesn't carry heat like metal. I suppose if it is still an issue, you could purchase a cooling pad for your laptop.

6. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

The body of the MacBook Pro is effectively a giant heat sink. So it will get hot.

You could always ramp up the fans, but then your super quiet state of the art Mac becomes what is basically a normal noisy laptop running OS X.

7. macNewbie02 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it more like "oh, it's a bit warm here.."

----------

Thanks, I'm already using ClickToPlugin. And I have Parallels just in case. :)

8. PeterSharp macrumors member

So why does it bother you? Your computer is not bothered really:D
    Computers do get a bit warm. Especially computers with quad i7 and kepler. You're not worried when your car's hood is a bit warm are you? Unless it's getting loud and it's melting your fingers, there is nothing to worry about.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The top left corner will get warm, this is normal. The fans will come on when the computer decides it is too warm. This is normal too. Flash based websites will cause your computer to warm up and the fans may come on. I use Chrome and click2Flash to disable Flash completely.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you are concerned about temperature, elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the heat back to the base of the Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work relatively efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables, by blowing a continuous strem of cool air across the base of the machine this wicks away heat from the aluminium case and ultimately aids cooling of the internals by preventing excessive temperature build up. The Zefyr comes at a price, equally it`s built to the same standard as your Mac and it does work, and it can work with the mStand.

[​IMG]

Link: mStand

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

You can use software to manually override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control, or you can look at UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp. For the Quad Core Pros it`s also worth considering gfxCardStatus and taking control of the GPU`s as the discrete GPU will generate significantly more heat than the integrated in most circumstance.

Why, well if you want this level of performance in such a small chassis this is one of the trade offs, just wait until you try video transcoding with Handbrake ;)

11. PeterSharp macrumors member

Trade offs? My rMBP runs cooler than my thick uMBP. Don't see a trade off here :D

12. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

Have both of the above products and love them! Amazing products from very solid companies.

13. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

You can search 'Laptop Notebook Cooler Pad w/ 3 Fans' into Amazon (link).
    They're dirt cheap and work pretty well!

Attached Files:

14. PeterSharp macrumors member

I love the way it matches Macbook's design perfectly. Match made in heaven :D

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I always found wet ice worked better.