How to copy a dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac cruiser, Oct 8, 2009.

1. mac cruiser macrumors newbie

hello everyone.

i have the full final cut studio 3 package and sad to say i cannot make a dvd copy.

when i use disk utility or duplicate it comes up with an error so all files cannot be read. However i also have a windows computer and when done with nero it seems to work all fine.

i wanted to know if i can use a dvd burning software, (which i have the full final cut studo package) to burn a dvd.

Iv tried to use the build format using dvd studio pro but that comes up with unsuccessful aswell.

any help or opinions appreciated.

Thanks

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Hi, dumb questions coming. Are you sure your Mac has a DVD-burning drive installed? Could just be a combo aka CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive (rewrite vs. read-only).

Or possibly you are trying to copy a DVD-DL (dual layer) and your Mac does not have a DVD-DL burning drive. DVD-DL's have data on the top and bottom of the disc, so the capacity is increased from 4.7GB to 9.4GB on a DVD-DL. If you're using a Powerbook G4 then you can not burn DVD-DL discs. You may not realize you're dealing with a DVD-DL they look like normal discs but the storage capacity is much higher.

Or maybe the DVD is copy protected and Nero is able to overlook it but your Mac isn't. You might want to investigate Handbrake. I don't use it myself but I've heard it's the best option for ripping content from copyrighted DVD's... you then burn a DVD using the m4v file that Handbrake creates.

3. mac cruiser thread starter macrumors newbie

its a genuine technical question and not dumb. That is the reason why i am concerned.

it is a standard video dvd that is burned by myself and is not copyrighted and not a dual layer.

the disk copy starts on my mac pro but when it comes to an end an error comes up saying 'some files or data cannot be read', so i assume my fault is with my DVD or even applications. On my pc using nero it copies without no problems.

It is a standard 4.7gb sd dvd.

I also wanted to know if there is a 'copy dvd' feature on dvd studio pro (like nero) as i am not familiar with it and want to avoid using disk utility.

Thanks.

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I dont know about final cut, but in Adobe Encore you can create a dvd and just have the program write the .iso to your hard drive, which you can use as a basis for distribution and duplication.

like I said, I don't know if Final Cut does this because I don't use it but it would be worth investigating.