Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeoFan49

macrumors member
Original poster
Help? How to copy a few hundred MP3 files from one iPad to another?

Did a full backup/restore (old/new iPad) but LOST all the MP3 MUSIC... It's not in iTunes.

How to get it back?

• Old iPad: iPad 2, with 16 GB. iOS 9.0.2. {{ 95% full... with ~ 200 MP3 tracks ~ 100MB }}
• New one: iPad Air 2, with 64 GB.
• New iPad5,3 replaced old iPad 2,1.
• Same Apple-ID.

Saved about 20 music CDs (over 200 selected tracks, about 100 MB, all ordinary MP3 files with metadata tags) on the old iPad, using ITunes, several years ago. The hard drive with those iTunes fils is gone now. The only MP3 file repository now is on the old iPad, about to be erased for resale on eBay.

Recently did a full encrypted backup of the old iPad 2 using iTunes on a Mac... After the full restore from that encrypted backup, everything transferred perfectly, except none of the MP3 files were restored onto the new iPad Air, all of that music seems to be lost!

How to restore those MP3 files from old iPad to new iPad?

Just the MP3 files, everything else already was transferred a week ago.

I do not have those MP3 files in iTunes on any computer now. It is only on the old iPad. I wanted to restore it from the old iPad onto the new iPad Air that I have already been using for about a week now. Too late for another full backup/restore now. That ship has sailed. Doesn't seem to handle Music (audio tracks, spoken, MP3 files...) anyway.

The ONLY thing missing after the restore is ALL of the MP3 music. How to transfer all those MP3s, from the old iPad to the new one, and only those MP3s, onto the new iPad?

Last edited:

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I have used iFunbox to transfer music from my iPhone to my MBP to iTunes. It transfers the music to your computer and then I transferred the music to iTunes Library. After you transfer to iTunes, you can download all your music to your iPad Air. Works like a charm. http://www.i-funbox.com/

Last edited:

GeoFan49

macrumors member
Original poster
Thanks for the suggestions!

I found a backup of the iTunes folders and was able to burn a data CD with all the MP3 files needed.

Hopefully that will have all the metadata... album art... etc... and I will be able to load that into the current iTunes now in use for backups.

When I go into iTunes and try to turn on Sync for Music tracks, there's an alert message that says — all your music on the iDevice will be erased. That would not be any problem now, since the current iDevice has no music except the free U2 downloads that almost nobody wants anyway. None of those songs went platinum, it seems.

With the Data CD containing all the tracks from the 20 Music CDs... that is all we need, hopefully...

5qxENv5
http://imgur.com/5qxENv5

GeoFan49

macrumors member
Original poster
Thanks for all the suggestions!

RE: AirDrop.. it seems only to pass some type of an Apple Music link to that audio track, not the MP3 file itself. That would not work for custom audio MP3 files? NOT a fan, nor a user of Apple Music.

SO.... Here was the problem...

itunes-no-joy--2015-09-30--ginny-ipad-music.jpg

The solution?
Try iFunBox... or...

Found a backup of the ITUNES file library with the same audio tracks that were on the old iPad. Using ITUNES, was able to make a DVD -- saved a Playlist with all the MP3 files... hopefully I can just restore those MP3 files from that DVD into iTunes for the NEW iPad Air 2, and it will have all the ID3 metadata tags and the album artwork can be recovered, too...

Only took half an hour... would have taken a whole day to re-rip all 20 CDs and selected tracks.

Moral of the story: KEEP a backup of your iTunes file Library... it is NOT easy to recover your own MP3 audio tracks that reside ONLY on your iPad, iPod, iPhone, or iDevice! I don't need no stinking DRM, these are MY MP3 files!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.