Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

61Sunliner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
I have a randomly repeating event I want to enter in the event calendar. The calendar only allows you to repeat daily, weekly, monthly, etc. After reading about this shortcoming on line I purchased app Calendar Event Pro 2 expecting it to fix this but it is still limited to certain cycles of events. All I would like to do is copy the event already entered and give it a new date to repeat it. Seems so simple but can't make it happen. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Mike

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I would make the event in iCal first then copy where ever you want on the computer. Then just sync your iPad. Assuming your on a Mac?

61Sunliner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
No, I'm pc based, this is my first Mac Product. Got it to use the "Square" credit card reader for my wife's little business and the uses continue to grow.
Seems like it would be a simple process just to copy the event in it's entirety and change the date.
Mike

RobertSnider

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Central Ohio
How to Duplicate an iPad/iPhone Calendar Event

Here’s how I duplicate a Calendar event on my iPad Air or my iPhone 5. (iOS 7.1)
  1. Edit the event you want to copy.
  2. Choose Repeat, Every Day.
  3. Change the End Repeat to be the next day. (Watch out, it defaults to a week from today.)
  4. When you press Done, you will have duplicated the event the next day at the same time, but you are not finished. These two events are linked, and you have to unlink them.
  5. Edit the second event you just created and change it to Repeat: Never. You can also move it to the date and time you want.
  6. When you press Done, respond Save for future events.
  7. Edit the first event again and also change it to Repeat: Never, and save for future events. Don’t worry, the second event has been unlinked and it will not be affected.
  8. Now, move the second event to the date and time where you want it. You can add new notes or whatever. It is an independent event now.

Warning: If you don’t unlink the events so both are Repeat:Never, Calendar can get confused and not allow any further Repeats to be made to either event.

If you own a Mac, a much easier way is to use the Calendar app that comes with Mac OS X. Just right-click your calendar event and choose Copy. Then right-click where you want a copy and choose Paste Here. (This assumes you are sharing your calendars between your Mac and your iPad/iPhone. I’m using Mavericks and iOS 7 on my iPhone and iPad.)

xerxers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Pocket Informant

Here’s how I duplicate a Calendar event on my iPad Air or my iPhone 5. (iOS 7.1)
  3. Change the End Repeat to be the next day. (Watch out, it defaults to a week from today.)
  4. When you press Done, you will have duplicated the event the next day at the same time, but you are not finished. These two events are linked, and you have to unlink them.
  5. Edit the second event you just created and change it to Repeat: Never. You can also move it to the date and time you want.
  7. Edit the first event again and also change it to Repeat: Never, and save for future events. Don’t worry, the second event has been unlinked and it will not be affected.
  8. Now, move the second event to the date and time where you want it. You can add new notes or whatever. It is an independent event now.

Warning: If you don’t unlink the events so both are Repeat:Never, Calendar can get confused and not allow any further Repeats to be made to either event.

If you own a Mac, a much easier way is to use the Calendar app that comes with Mac OS X. Just right-click your calendar event and choose Copy. Then right-click where you want a copy and choose Paste Here. (This assumes you are sharing your calendars between your Mac and your iPad/iPhone. I’m using Mavericks and iOS 7 on my iPhone and iPad.)

You could always use something Like Pocket Informant. There is a free trial version.

alligator69

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
I have no doubt that this works but to go through a detailed excercise like this for a simple cut and paste to avoid re-inputting the same data already input is absurd. Not wanting to re-input makes total sense but this is just another example of users having to create elaborate workarounds to compensate for Apple's lack of common sense and blatant disregard for their customer base. This is a no-brainer folks. Absolutely no excuse for something this simple to be a continuing issue after multiple IOS releases. Whatever functionality is included in the OS X app should be included in the equivalent IOS app. Period. No excuses.

This may very well be my last iPhone. My first gen iPad has been turned into an obsolete worthless POS that can't even run Safari and other basic apps anymore because of the outdated IOS. The apps won't run on the old IOS version anymore, forcing me to upgrade. When I try to upgrade, it tells me that the current IOS can't be installed on the device. I've barely even used the thing. Last iPad I'll ever get. My nephew showed me his Samsung device which was half the iPad's size and easily had 4x the functionality. Has anyone else run out of patience with this crap?

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I have no doubt that this works but to go through a detailed excercise like this for a simple cut and paste to avoid re-inputting the same data already input is absurd. Not wanting to re-input makes total sense but this is just another example of users having to create elaborate workarounds to compensate for Apple's lack of common sense and blatant disregard for their customer base. This is a no-brainer folks. Absolutely no excuse for something this simple to be a continuing issue after multiple IOS releases. Whatever functionality is included in the OS X app should be included in the equivalent IOS app. Period. No excuses.

This may very well be my last iPhone. My first gen iPad has been turned into an obsolete worthless POS that can't even run Safari and other basic apps anymore because of the outdated IOS. The apps won't run on the old IOS version anymore, forcing me to upgrade. When I try to upgrade, it tells me that the current IOS can't be installed on the device. I've barely even used the thing. Last iPad I'll ever get. My nephew showed me his Samsung device which was half the iPad's size and easily had 4x the functionality. Has anyone else run out of patience with this crap?

The first generation iPad is still being used by my father. He likes the Maps app which is very easy to use compared to later versions and he also use it for reading PDFs, watching YouTube and ”easy” web checking. It's true that it's absolutely outdated today in many ways (especially its 256 MB of RAM), but it did receive two major iOS upgrades. I wouldn’t consider it a POS, but that of course depends what you expect from it. I doubt a Samsung tablet would be getting the same upgrade treatment when it comes to Android, though. Unless you can get hold of a ”Google Play” edition tablet from Samsung that runs stock Android, which I doubt you can.

I’ve had an iPad 2 myself which I recently switched for an iPad Air 2. The iPad 2 can run the latest iOS (iOS 8) which means it has been getting four major iOS upgrades. I think that’s pretty good.

However, this with the Calendar app in iOS 8 not having an easy way to duplicate an event is totally ridiculous and I have no excuse for that at all. :(

ososX

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
How to Duplicate an iPad/iPhone Calendar Event

Thanks, this is indeed very helpful and works. Nonetheless, I think that a simple "duplicate" adjacent to the "delete" option is perfectly sensible

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
I have a randomly repeating event I want to enter in the event calendar. The calendar only allows you to repeat daily, weekly, monthly, etc. After reading about this shortcoming on line I purchased app Calendar Event Pro 2 expecting it to fix this but it is still limited to certain cycles of events. All I would like to do is copy the event already entered and give it a new date to repeat it. Seems so simple but can't make it happen. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Mike
Check it out this tutorial https://iosappers.com/tutorial/how-to-create-a-calendar-event-with-siri/
It has all the information regarding calendar events, i.e. how to create, reschedule, cancel or check a calendar event using Siri. Hope this may help you out.

ZozoBobo

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2017
Thanks, Mike

Here is a relatively simple way in iOS (maybe because I have the latest version April 2017): Create a new event and set the desired start date and time. In the new event title, begin typing the name of the pre-existing event you want to copy. You should see a drop down menu of possible completions which contains the name of the desired event. Select the event you wanted to copy and all the data (including title, duration, alerts...) should get filled in to your new event, but with the new start date and time.

Reactions: ososX

jacobe

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
Here is a relatively simple way in iOS (maybe because I have the latest version April 2017): Create a new event and set the desired start date and time. In the new event title, begin typing the name of the pre-existing event you want to copy. You should see a drop down menu of possible completions which contains the name of the desired event. Select the event you wanted to copy and all the data (including title, duration, alerts...) should get filled in to your new event, but with the new start date and time.
[doublepost=1495437251][/doublepost]At last a reasonable solution. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.