How to Copy application and Keep Icon?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reallyoldman, Nov 22, 2011.

1. reallyoldman macrumors newbie

When I copy an application from one folder to another the application shows up but it doesn't show the icon.

What is the proper way to copy so that the icon does show up?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why are you copying an app? They should stay in the /Applications folder.

3. simsaladimbamba

Where do you copy what application to? And where do you copy it from?
    I have several copies of Movist inside the standard Applications folder (no need to have them somewhere else) and all three copies show the correct icon.
    Btw, I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

4. reallyoldman thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Games folder and previously I've been able to create aliases of the games in the Applications folder and move them to Games. I can move them but they show up without an icon although when I 'Get Info' in shows the icon there.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To change the icon for any disk, app, file or folder

6. reallyoldman thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the technique you referred to should work because I remember doing that successfully previously, but in this case at least it doesn't. I'm on Lion 10-.7.2, do you think that could make any difference? And is there no way to copy an application and include the icon without the second copy/paste icon step?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried relaunching Finder? It should work on the initial copy, but if not, the copy/paste icon method should absolutely work, if you followed the steps exactly. If relaunching Finder doesn't help, you might try repairing permissions.

8. reallyoldman thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I did that. This time when I did the copy/paste of the icon I was told that "Finder wants to make changes", however the result was still the same.

I attached a picture that shows (left to right, top to bottom) the Info for the game in Applications, the Finder screen for that game, the Info for the game in Games, the Finder screen for that game, and finally, the Game folder displayed showing the game as the first item in the second row. If you need a bigger picture please let me know.

Attached Files:

9. reallyoldman thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolved

I needed to reboot the MAC for another purpose and the icon showed up.