How to copy boot up drive to new drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by junior77, Jan 18, 2008.

1. junior77 macrumors regular

I curious to understand what the best practice is to copy my current 10.5.1 OSX start-up drive to a brand new HDD? In the past, I've used software such as SuperDuper, but it currently isn't 100% Leopard compatible, so was wondering do I need other 3rd party or is there something built into Leopard to do this Automagically and (bullet proof). Or the 3rd option is to wait for SuperDuper to go live with new version...hopefully 'soon'.

Follow up question is: Do you need to have Windows XPsp2 in order for boot camp to work? I have legal DVD of XP but not SP2, i.e., I would have to download the service pack. I've read somewhere that this is not the 'best' thing to do, not sure if there is any real truth to that.

2. noi375 macrumors member

Just use disk utility to "restore" from the default drive to your new one, just make sure you partition the new drive first (I find that out the hard way - thought disk utility would do it for you, but won't, so partition first!), then reset the startup disk (via system preference), and it should be good to go.

3. junior77 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, that sounds easy enough!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I cannot restore from a G5 to Intel machine?

4. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Carbon Copy Cloner can copy your current startup drive to a new drive and is Leopard Compatible.

and CCC is free. I just did it last night and it worked great.

5. noi375 macrumors member

Thought you are just replacing the drive that came with the new system (that's what I did), but if you are "migrating", then no - drivers and stuff are way too different for this to work, unless you get some program that will stripe stuff out and add the correct stuff in, I doubt it would work. Think you are better off using the default new install, then use the migration wizard to get the settings over.

6. junior77 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm actually doing both....I currently have a WD Raptor in my PowerMacG5 that I want to put into my new intel macpro. So, what I may do is some fiddling about with 'restore' to 'spare' drives, and end up with my PowerMacG5 OSX on the 320GB and a clean install of intel OSX on the raptor drive.

7. noi375 macrumors member

Now I understand - actually that was I plan to do with my Windows drive later on. Anyway, you have the restore disc that came with your system anyway, so I would use "restore" from your WD drive to your drive from the Mac Pro, then use the restore DVDs to "restore" the default image to your WD drive. Only reason why I mention the restore is I think they install iLife and what not on it as well instead of just the OSX.

8. junior77 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the good advice.

Just to confirm another thought....

I have a 'data' only hard drive, i.e., music, photos, raw video...etc, from my PMG5, can I just drop this in the intel machine and have no issues?

9. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Yes, it should work just fine.