Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephy0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
My macbook pro doesn't start and after using diskwarrior it says it can salvage some items. I connected it to an older macbook via firewire and booted the diskwarrior cd holding down C. After diskwarrior runs, when I reach the preview pane, the only destinations to copy the salvaged data are the macbook pro itself and the diskwarrior dvd but not the macbook connected through the firewire. I restarted it holding down T and ran the diskwarrior cd in the macbook pro using the macbook but it didn't work either. So how do I use diskwarrior so that I can copy the data from the macbook pro that doesn't start up to the macbook. I also have data rescue if that works better.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
External disk, I wasn't aware that DW could do this but it seems it does, I don't know how much it will recover but the external should be at least as big as the internal.
Of course it WILL NOT copy to the internal since it is damaged, and of course it WILL NOT copy to the DVD since that is read only.

stephy0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
The external doesn't appear as an option when they're connected though. The only two that show are the internal and the cd.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I connected it to an older macbook via firewire and booted the diskwarrior cd holding down C."

I could be wrong here, but I don't see where using DiskWarrior (a utility designed to rebuild drive directories) could be of optimum use in tryng to scavenge data from a drive in a dead computer. DW is directory-repair software; it's not "file-recovery" software.

I think you need different software tools. Perhaps some hardware, as well (see below).

Does the drive (in the non-working MacBook) mount up properly on the desktop of your working MacBook when you connect via firewire target disk mode? (I am assuming yes).

If that's the case you should try to "clone" the contents of the drive to another drive somewhere. Doing this will make it much easier to pick through them for the folders/files you want to save.

Can the drive (in the non-working MacBook) be removed from the case without too much trouble? This is BY FAR the easiest way to go about it.

Suggestion (assuming you can take the drive out):
Get one of these gadgets:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APP6694...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00APP6694
or this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dock...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003UI62AG

Then, take the "bare" drive and put it into the dock, connect the dock to your working MacBook via USB. It should "mount up" on the desktop and you can then get what you need from it….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.